HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

$15k for manual with 50k miles or $8k for auto with 170k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 01:06 PM

To the original poster, I'm hooked on the HHR but you really have to remember what was your original purpose for buying it. I keep lurking online for an SS but I have to keep reminding myself I bought my HHR for economy (miles and grade of gas), for hauling, low/easy maintenance, decent reliablility and a little bit for looks. The fact that it handles pretty well is a bonus. If I did buy an SS, it would definitely be an automatic even though the manual is probably a more fun car to drive, mainly because it's just less of a hassle for how I use the car. Now don't get me wrong, I'd definitely like a little bit more performance than the 2.2 is providing but again, I didn't buy it to blow the doors off other cars - I have another chevy in the garage - with a manual transmission - for that, lol. If anything, I'd get a nice, clean loaded LT, and tighten up the suspension and brakes, if the price was right, but right now it's just cheaper to keep modifying my current rental LS since it does pretty much all that want it to do.

I noticed the prices of SSs are rising and I definitely think they'll be collector's items in a few more years. As of today, there were only five SS on Cars.com, only one with a manual, and the prices range from $6k to $12k.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Exactly why I bought the BlackSwan to replace Oldblue.
a relatively loaded 2LT 2.4 to replace the LS 2.2
That and Oldblue was in good shape , I had done the lowered tighter suspension, SS non Brembo brake upgrade , modified it several different ways . I just wanted a new project. The BlackSwan, same thing , new SS brakes upgrade, KYB struts and shocks, TurboTechRacing rear sway bar, on and on. The deal with an SS is , for me , the fuel costs, Premium fuel is $1.65 a Litre here x 3.86 is $6.37 a US Gallon so , the fun factor was beat out by the fuel economy. Maybe one day I’ll buy an SS , but in hindsight, I should have never sold Oldblue.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:01 PM

OldBlue - Exactly. My previous “beater” was an Acura with a V6 that required premium (tried lower grade and it shut off), and the rear seat didn’t fold down. So basically I had a car that was expensive to fill up and couldn’t carry crap, in other words, useless. If I only had one car, I’d definitely consider a SS because it does so many things well, but my Camaro fulfills my performance and “fun car” needs so I really don’t “need” a SS. It’s a shame GM didn’t try to come up with a replacement on the Cruze chassis but I understand at that time they were just trying to stay afloat financially and boutique cars like the HHR and Solstice had to go.

I actually scrolled through all the stickies regarding upgrades to make a LS close to a LT. Anything requiring BCM modification aren’t cost effective and anything that reduces reliability or takes away from the utility also is a no go, so that eliminates something as simple as factory fog lights and factory heated seat, up to performance upgrades to the 2.2. That doesn’t mean I have to have a boring car - the KYB shocks made a difference in handling, upgraded brakes and sway bars are coming in spring and there are a lot of simple convenience things that can be done - swapped steering wheel, upgraded audio, and even aftermarket seat heaters because it’s gotten cold - hopefully will keep me satisfied for awhile or until some gives me a LT or SS.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:11 PM
Administrator

The SS non Brembo brake upgrade is great, the TTR rear swaybar is awesome. I swapped in a complete rear drum brake kit from Power Stop a huge improvement in braking and my automatic adjusters work properly, I still check them every oil change.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
To the original poster, I'm hooked on the HHR but you really have to remember what was your original purpose for buying it. I keep lurking online for an SS but I have to keep reminding myself I bought my HHR for economy (miles and grade of gas), for hauling, low/easy maintenance, decent reliablility and a little bit for looks. The fact that it handles pretty well is a bonus. If I did buy an SS, it would definitely be an automatic even though the manual is probably a more fun car to drive, mainly because it's just less of a hassle for how I use the car. Now don't get me wrong, I'd definitely like a little bit more performance than the 2.2 is providing but again, I didn't buy it to blow the doors off other cars - I have another chevy in the garage - with a manual transmission - for that, lol. If anything, I'd get a nice, clean loaded LT, and tighten up the suspension and brakes, if the price was right, but right now it's just cheaper to keep modifying my current rental LS since it does pretty much all that want it to do.

I noticed the prices of SSs are rising and I definitely think they'll be collector's items in a few more years. As of today, there were only five SS on Cars.com, only one with a manual, and the prices range from $6k to $12k.
I would definitely want the automatic. It's a great car and I have 208,000 miles on my LT. 100 more HP would be so nice though. It struggles getting up to speed on east bay on ramps.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The SS non Brembo brake upgrade is great, the TTR rear swaybar is awesome. I swapped in a complete rear drum brake kit from Power Stop a huge improvement in braking and my automatic adjusters work properly, I still check them every oil change.
I think I need to do that next. Never touched the rear drum...ever. It still does it's job as a parking brake though.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

How many clicks does the E-Brake need to hold the vehicle on a slope. (Applying it lightly).... If mine takes more than 3 or 4, I know a rear drum brake adjustment is due.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:45 PM

Manual all the way….but I’m biased

I have had no issues with the transmission (170k miles, with the GMPP upgrade for all but 1k). I’ve replaced hub bearings, and axles when one started clicking, but other than that, mechanically, it’s been a reliable ride. The electronics on the other hand……have had more issues with communication errors than I’d like. The slushbox comes detuned from GM, and is just not as much fun.