HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

09 ss blown engine swapped motors now a few small issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 PM

I would source a new O ring to correctly seat the MAP sensor. Or, switch the intake back to original. Sounds like it has more issues than just a leaky MAP though. Was it a used engine? I would go over all the charge piping, checking for cracks and leaks. Any excess air getting in or out of the system plays tricks on the ECM.

Ticks are no Bueno! My wife's SS had broken timing guides and the car barely made it home from the dealer. It's easy to check, I've seen only 1 guide break. Out of 3 engines I've recently rebuilt it's always the same one.

If you pull the valve cover, the timing chain has a long guide just after the intake cam. It runs almost the entire length of the front cover, usually the top breaks off. With a good flashlight have a look down the intake side of the timing chain. I'll get pics tomorrow after work, I have 2 engines torn down in the garage.

As far as the other motor. It's probably fine. I'd pull the head, rebuild it. Toss in a new timing set and water pump. Low compression is usually dirty intake valves not being able to fully seat. Or could be a bad head gasket. Either way, pulling the head will tell you that.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:12 AM

The new motor is brand new with 0 miles.

Also now that you remind me. The engine was over heating the day he had it checked out.

It got as high as 218degrees from what I recall

His plan is to swap the intake manifold.

Also I just remembered he said there was also a plug on the new oil pan that his old engine did not have so there is no plug on his harness.

I forgot what all those codes said..
But 2 or 3 of them basically said the same thing.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:22 AM

any update

What is the update. my 08 LNF just blew at 74k miles and am looking into the zzp option LDK as well but not interested in chasing my tail. I have better projects for that time.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM

So my dad swapped out the old intake manifold and is still getting the same trouble codes..
He's taking it to his friend who runs a very reliable shop to figure it out..
I'm beginning to think that a wire got pinched or clipped or something.
Time will tell..

He also has a blown strut..
Any recommendations for new suspension for the hhr ss??
For the record I purchased a ttr bar a few christmas's ago.
And he does love to "drive" his car.
He is not looking to slam the car and still wants to have a non bumpy ride..
Doing some research now on which suspension he should purchase
Old 01-14-2016, 05:12 PM

Good luck with your mechanic! My DIC looked like a Christmas tree and I had a novels worth of codes. Hopefully you'll get it straightened out. I did eventually, there was only 1 thing I couldn't do myself. Needed a tech 2 to perform steering calibration. Other than that, no more codes. I have a bunch of zzproblems, but that's because it's too custom (to quote ZZP)

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
I have a bunch of zzproblems, but that's because it's too custom (to quote ZZP)
Wow.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM

Complete New engine shipped for $2,169

Just ordered from ATK high performance, new GM crate motor with turbo shipped to me Total $2169
Old 03-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Longbrownroad
Just ordered from ATK high performance, new GM crate motor with turbo shipped to me Total $2169
I also saw this when I was shopping. I was a little leery of the 'european replacement' label. And the LNF, and not LDK.

Please keep us posted, with any hiccups or challenges in the installation and performance. Very interested.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:29 PM

LNF replacement

I talked with Matt there and he assured it is the exact engine for my hhr ss. They are owned by LKQ auto parts who I have dealt with a lot. Even if there are glitches I will work thru them. I will inspect and compare to my engine for any physical differences and post it here. It may be awhile before I ever use but I see what they are asking out there for 100k motors so I want a brand new one to put up for future use. It will always be worth at least what I paid I figure? I hope I never need it but with four HHR SS's, just an insurance policy. I will be driving them until they outlaw the combustible engine. I love these cars.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 PM

I don't expect it to be a totally trouble-free install. Nothing ever is. But the few reviews I read, it supposed to be the same as US. It has all the GM castings plus comes with the manifold. If it looks good when it appears I may buy several more before they are all gone. I'm retired and have too much time on my hands, lol.

Quick Reply: 09 ss blown engine swapped motors now a few small issues