HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2008 HHR SS (5spd) vs. 2009 HHR SS (auto) - Please make up my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Question 2008 HHR SS (5spd) vs. 2009 HHR SS (auto) - Please make up my mind.

Hey! I'm new here! But I'm totally not new to forums, and I know how dumb threads like these can be frowned upon. So I'm apologizing in advance.

I am about to jump into the HHR SS club by purchasing one of two vehicles that I have the opportunity to choose from. The first is a 2008 HHR SS with a 5spd, black, has the sport seats (I read that some early models did not have them), and about 63k miles.

The second is a 2009 HHR SS with an automatic transmission, also black, and from what I understand this one cannot possibly come with the performance package (Brembo, etc.) due to the transmission, and has about 79k miles on it's clock.

The '08 5spd is priced about $1500 more than the '09, and there's a looming chance I'll be able to haggle the dealer down to come really close to matching the price of the other HHR SS, and for some reason I'm always hesitant to buy an early model of any car, but what would you guys do? Assuming all else is identical, condition, Carfax, etc. which would you choose, and why?

I need answers by morning. I'm making the purchase tomorrow. Thanks for the help family!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Hey Spoon!

Welcome to the forum! Best of luck in purchasing the HHR. Let us know if you have any questions.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Spoon- welcome, that decision should be yours. Do you wanna grab gears, or just mash the go-pedal..

PS: The SS w/Auto can still be tuned for big HP..

But if the '08 has the Brembo pkg & etc, that would have more value imo.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Well I have a black, manual ss and the only 2 things I would change is the color and the transmission. Black is hot and shows dirt So bad. I get tired of shifting in town and daily commutes, and first gear is so short I get too much tire spin then redline comes so fast. I think it would be easier to launch with auto. My turbo is turned up and just when she starts pulling really good its time to shift already and I have to get out of it unless I'm using no lift shift feature which I rarely do. The other thing is my dog likes to stand up looking out the window so I have to concentrate to shift smooth enough he doesn't get off balance or slide on the slick plastic.

On the other hand, when trying to focus on fuel economy manual is nice, and while sport driving through curves its fun. Stock ss manual has more boost than auto but this is easily changed with a tune. Also when clean the black does look good. When I get red emblems and pinstriping will be even sharper.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Spoon: I'm in Hayward, Ca.[Hayward Hills], and I have a Black 09 SS, auto [modded]. You can do a few things to a auto, and they will be plenty fast, for the traction you can put down. I'd jump on the auto big time, and not look back. Bremo's are overrated on a SS. I have stock brakes, and autocross and they stop just fine. "Moon"
Old 07-06-2013, 01:11 AM

Check if the manual has the G85 option, limited slip differential. I'd get that myself.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

Auto, my bud in his 5 speed has no chance to catch me. I switched to the Brembos. They should have put them on all of them, major difference, but they just bolt on. You can add them at will.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 AM

with an auto...you dont have to drop 1200$+ for a new clutch that will handle the upgraded performance
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

It's all about personal choice and which one you feel more comfortable with.
One thing to think about. The SS 5 speed transmissions are very clunky and kind of sloppy feeling. It's just the design of them. Takes some getting used to.

Me. I've got the 5 speed w/Perf.Pkg and I'm happy with it.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 AM

My opinion: Auto with a tune and new tires is a 13 second car. plenty fast enough for me....I'd vote for the auto

Quick Reply: 2008 HHR SS (5spd) vs. 2009 HHR SS (auto) - Please make up my mind.