HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2010 HHR SS Turbo hates humidity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:32 PM

2010 HHR SS Turbo hates humidity?

For some reason my HHR Turbo seems to not work when it rains or the dew point is really high. My car lags and bucks a lot at highway speed. Or at take off it seems in responsive as well. I'm getting really sick of this and my husband doesn't seem the least bit interested in figuring it out. He used to own his own garage, worked as a GM tech for 25 years too! I guess he figures I don't really need it and I'm about ready to park the damn thing and just ride my motorcycle, but cold weather is coming soon. Anyway, has anyone ever experienced this an know what the problem is or at least tell me where to start looking? I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Mileage? Engine check light on or has been coming on then going off on its own? Grade of gas used? How long has this been happening? When was the last time the spark plugs have been changed?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Mileage? Engine check light on or has been coming on then going off on its own? Grade of gas used? How long has this been happening? When was the last time the spark plugs have been changed?
128,000, miles, I use 92 Octane or highest grade available always, engine light is almost always on when this happens, I know he's checked the codes he has that hand held gadget from snapon (sorry don't know the name) so I don't know what codes he's gotten, if any, I'm sure he had some. Hmmmmm, spark plugs, I'm not sure of either, I got the car 2 years ago and the previous owner said it did it to him too. Usually the engine light goes out and it stops doing it.

Thing is he was in a bad car accident 3 years ago and had to close his repair facility and now can't do that line of work anymore because of his injuries, so I don't want to really hurt his ego, KWIM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, seems like it could be a moisture problem in one or more wiring connections. A trip to parts palace, like AutoZone or Advanced Auto is in order they'll read the codes for you , then post them here. Just the codes we'll research and advise from there.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

x2 what Oldblue said - without the codes we'd be shooting in the dark.

But I'd suspect a moisture issue much like what he referred to as well. A shot of WD40 on moisture related wiring issues has worked miracles for me in the past.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Code numbers. Got to have them before you can even attempt a guess.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Okay - I'll see if I can't either get some codes from my husband or one of the places you guys mentioned. I text him asking about the spark plugs, he hasn't answered, I suspect he's mad that I'm asking someone else about the problem. Probably a bruised ego.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Be gentle, he's used to being your go to guy! But these little trucklets are finicky and persnickety.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Being an injured car guy I feel for your husband. Let him know how picky these turbos can be and you found a board with lots of experience with them. Heck have him sign up, so he can research himself if he wants.

As a disabled mechanic, the web has made it possible to keep working on cars, when I'm feeling up to it. I can easily search for issues and get great advice on the quickest/easiest places to start. No way I can crawl around the engine compartment blindly hunting down an issue like I used to.

I had a chaffed wire and whenever it rained it would throw codes and run like crap. Lower map if I remember right.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Be gentle, he's used to being your go to guy! But these little trucklets are finicky and persnickety.
I'm trying, but it's been really frustrating and when it's damp out or really muggy it's annoying as all get out and he doesn't have to deal with it. While he CAN drive a stick his injuries are such that's not very comfortable anymore so he just usually doesn't drive my car anymore unless he HAS too, so it's the whole out of sight out of mind, unless I say something and I don't unless it's an unusually hot day and I've chugged the whole way home. Plus I look like an idiot when a guy at a light wants to race and I try and can't. LOL

Quick Reply: 2010 HHR SS Turbo hates humidity?