HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

235hp auto vs. 260hp manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Founding Member

235hp auto vs. 260hp manual

Why would anyone want a detuned auto HHR SS with 235hp? Driving a manual is not hard at all and it can be second nature to anyone. Hell, most of Europe has never even seen an automatic car. Just wondering.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 PM

Do you mean 235 VS. 260HP?

It's still more HO than the auto 2.4 I have now. I'd guess you could get it tuned and get some/all of the HP back.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 PM

my wife had her knee shot out in desert storm, is not able to drive a standard, i have bad knees from surgeries, i can drive one but if i had to evacuate like we might be doing in a few day i would have to leave a stadard at home. some people are just lazy. oh and you cant tow a trailer with the manual...lol i dunno, me if i were able id be signing papers on a black ss manual and just hope a hurricane dont blow it away.

oh almost forgot, some people have enough trouble driving, doing make up (or shaving), eating a mc griddle, and talking on their cell phones, adding a manual into that mix would give them too much to do while driving!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Do you mean 235 VS. 260HP?

It's still more HO than the auto 2.4 I have now. I'd guess you could get it tuned and get some/all of the HP back.
Lol yea, fixed.
Can the auto handle more horsepower? My impression is that they detune it because the automatic cannot handle 260hp
Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 PM

yeah from what i hear the auto is the same one that's being used on 2.4L N/A vehicles? So in that case, it's prolly rated to handle no more than 235.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:15 AM

I'd be afraid to bring up the HP on the auto for the very reason you mention here, it will likely break the tranny. My Ford SHO had that trouble. I had the standard for twelve years. It took ford many years to develop an automatic for it that would take the torque and HP. I had no tranny trouble with the manual other than it had an undersized clutch so Ford gave me a free one when it needed replacing.

All that said, I had a standard Vibe and the power wheel spun with no further traction coming from the other front tire. Piece of crap without positraction of some sort.

Do standard HHRs have this problem? I want BOTH my front wheels to be working for me so I have traction. The standard Vibe fails in this manner while the automatic one seems fine. My automatic HHR is ok with TC and other things happening, so do manual HHRs have any problems with one tire not catching while the other one spins in the snow uselessly, etc?

It is sad the automatic HHR SS loses so much HP. I'm tired of shifting a million times in the city. Shifting is for the young and wanna be Europeans

I'll liley pass on the SS since I am set in a non manual mindset. I've been shifting the better part of thirty years with the Corvairs and three on a tree Buiocks etc. Now days automatics are sophisticated and can get the same MPG or better than some one shifting a stick.
Besides, when you play like Mario Andretti on the streets, you get tickets. I know , My SHO did 150 MPH stock from the factory with a five speed. Oh, and it was red

All in all, I guess I'll TRY a manual SS. I mean what can I lose...... ( THe wife is ALREADY apprehensive..... )
Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
Why would anyone want a detuned auto HHR SS with 235hp? Driving a manual is not hard at all and it can be second nature to anyone. Hell, most of Europe has never even seen an automatic car. Just wondering.
Because I'm lazy and just want to steer
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 AM

If you live in an area with bumper to bumper traffic you would understand.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Personally I prefer and manual transmission to an automatic and I'm no spring chicken either. I also live in Denver, CO so I know what bumper to bumper traffic is like, although if I lived in SoCal, I'm sure it would be much worse. I really don't even think about it being a stick shift...I just get in and drive.

I drove both the automatic and manual HHR's before I purchased my HHR. I felt the atx left a little on the table myself, but then again I had the salesman riding in the back seat too. Plus...I had my heart set on a 5 speed which are much harder to find than the automatic.

Wouldn't be a problem here...but that's because I wouldn't buy anything else but a manual. It also makes me feel younger...I'll save driving an ATX for when I can't shift anymore...but then again when that happens, I probably shouldn't be driving any more either.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Personally I prefer and manual transmission to an automatic and I'm no spring chicken either. I also live in Denver, CO so I know what bumper to bumper traffic is like, although if I lived in SoCal, I'm sure it would be much worse. I really don't even think about it being a stick shift...I just get in and drive.

I drove both the automatic and manual HHR's before I purchased my HHR. I felt the atx left a little on the table myself, but then again I had the salesman riding in the back seat too. Plus...I had my heart set on a 5 speed which are much harder to find than the automatic.

Wouldn't be a problem here...but that's because I wouldn't buy anything else but a manual. It also makes me feel younger...I'll save driving an ATX for when I can't shift anymore...but then again when that happens, I probably shouldn't be driving any more either.
The funny thing around here was when I first stumbled over the HHR in the Chevy lot, all I could find were five speeds. I did not know there were automatics until I got the literature.
My wife was cool with a manual, but I am tired of them and wanted and still want nothing to do with them, esp after the Vibe experience.
So e eventually got an automatic.

How soon before someone here uptunes an automatic HHR SS and blows the tranny?
I give it a month after said owner gets the car

Quick Reply: 235hp auto vs. 260hp manual