HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

235hp auto vs. 260hp manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 AM

I for one had my heart set on an automatic after driving my 98 Z28 M6 since it was new. There is quite a bit of traffic in my area, esp at rush hour and pushing in and letting out the clutch while you creep is no fun.

HOWEVER, droppin 25HP like that just to get the auto is really not an option so I guess I'll have to just suck it up and keep on shifting.
its a tough job but somebody's gotta do it!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep

How soon before someone here uptunes an automatic HHR SS and blows the tranny?
I give it a month after said owner gets the car
Yeah and then comes on here and complains that GM won't honor there warranty. Just like they do now on some of there mods. Sheeesh give me a break.

Alan
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hnewagn
If you live in an area with bumper to bumper traffic you would understand.
I drive a 5 speed in bumper to bumper 5 days a week
Old 08-19-2007, 10:45 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by JonyyB
I drive a 5 speed in bumper to bumper 5 days a week
Try Miami gridlock, then you would understand.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:29 PM

I know this may be a stupid question... but are the performance numbers going to be the same between the 235 HP automatic and 260 HP manual versions (0-60, etc.)? My brain is telling me "yes", but I have yet to see any information that backs this up.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:29 PM

mmm no coments, i prefer the manual, in that version of course
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by misterjensen
I know this may be a stupid question... but are the performance numbers going to be the same between the 235 HP automatic and 260 HP manual versions (0-60, etc.)? My brain is telling me "yes", but I have yet to see any information that backs this up.
I would bet they are not the same at all. Considering the current 2.2 5-speed and the 2.4 auto are only .14 seconds apart (0-60). I would imagine the new 5-speed has a much better ratio and clutch. The auto is the same as it is now.

And remember, you not only loose 25hp, but you also loose the LSD also. Two very big factors for those that can't or won't drive a stick. Personally, I don't understand why anyone wants a small car that's an auto. Hell I had a 5-speed in the 89 ext length Aerostar I used to own.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I would bet they are not the same at all. Considering the current 2.2 5-speed and the 2.4 auto are only .14 seconds apart (0-60). I would imagine the new 5-speed has a much better ratio and clutch. The auto is the same as it is now.

And remember, you not only loose 25hp, but you also loose the LSD also. Two very big factors for those that can't or won't drive a stick. Personally, I don't understand why anyone wants a small car that's an auto. Hell I had a 5-speed in the 89 ext length Aerostar I used to own.
Because I had a small car with a manual and it simply did not have any traction when things got wet or snowy no matter the tires ( I tried different tires) The Vibe had no traction. The power tire would spin and the other tire would sit. No matter what I tried. Somethings wrong with a design if that happens these days. I learned I cannot trust a manual on the current lineup of cars because of this. I have asked outright if the HHR manual has this problem, no one has answered. I think TC would kick in or something. But I refuse to drive light small cars that will get me and my family stuck in only a few inches of snow like the VIbe did. That is suppose d to be Toyota engineering which most folks bow to. So I dunno what to think other than I'm tired of manuals and I no longer trust them.
And I did drive a clunky but very cool manual SHO for twelve years, so I'm no manual wimp. Never get stuck in that car 'cause it had weight and BOTH tires spun when traction was scarce

Larger cars drive THROUGH the snow better since they press downward to the pavement more than lighter cars do. Lighter cars need TC or positraction more because they glide over the slush/snow mess more. Just some observations from my many years at the Gulf station. Our Toronado would cruise right through a lot of snow that would hang up the omins/ Horizons( The new kids on the block at the time, EVERYONE had them ) The small cars needed thin tires to help them out. No thin tires these days, just fat tires on large rims. Good for the dry days.........

Maybe I should move where no snow occurs , then I could drive anything. No pressures below the snow belt. Just put on performance tires and drive. Those lucky stiffs!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:32 AM

i finally figured it out, the auto version with less hp and no lsd is for the same people who buy v6 camaros, stangs, chargers..or the old inline 6 versions of your favorite muscle cars...its for people who want the look but thats all they want... they want that turbo, they want the fancy body work and interior but they arent driving enthusiasts, they are commuters, drivers, soccer moms trying to be hip and for people who just have never and or will never learn to drive a stick. but they gotta have that badge, that ss badge... for slightly slower
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Because I had a small car with a manual and it simply did not have any traction when things got wet or snowy no matter the tires ( I tried different tires) The Vibe had no traction. The power tire would spin and the other tire would sit. No matter what I tried. Somethings wrong with a design if that happens these days. I learned I cannot trust a manual on the current lineup of cars because of this. I have asked outright if the HHR manual has this problem, no one has answered. I think TC would kick in or something. But I refuse to drive light small cars that will get me and my family stuck in only a few inches of snow like the VIbe did. That is suppose d to be Toyota engineering which most folks bow to. So I dunno what to think other than I'm tired of manuals and I no longer trust them.
And I did drive a clunky but very cool manual SHO for twelve years, so I'm no manual wimp. Never get stuck in that car 'cause it had weight and BOTH tires spun when traction was scarce

Larger cars drive THROUGH the snow better since they press downward to the pavement more than lighter cars do. Lighter cars need TC or positraction more because they glide over the slush/snow mess more. Just some observations from my many years at the Gulf station. Our Toronado would cruise right through a lot of snow that would hang up the omins/ Horizons( The new kids on the block at the time, EVERYONE had them ) The small cars needed thin tires to help them out. No thin tires these days, just fat tires on large rims. Good for the dry days.........

Maybe I should move where no snow occurs , then I could drive anything. No pressures below the snow belt. Just put on performance tires and drive. Those lucky stiffs!
You keep mentioning traction issues, but are willing to give up the LSD. I have not driven mine in snow (or an amount tha made up anything), but have been in lot's of hard heavy rain. Take off takes a light tough on the clutch. That's a given with any manual tranny. Personally I do not like TC of any sort, I would take an LSD anyday. Reducing power or electronically applying brakes (what most TC units do) is not like an LSD that equals the power to the ground.

My truck had TM built in to the PCM, once removed via a custom tune, it was like night and day. You don't want a stick for whatever reason, thats on you. But don't complain when it hardly drives better than the current auto you own. I can just imagnine how much TM is built into the current auto to allow it to handle 235hp. It has so much to just handle 175hp as it is. And that barely give the 2.4/auto and edge over the 2.2/5speed (if you want to call .14 an edge ).

Maybe the SS/auto should be called a "Sport" instead of an SS.

Quick Reply: 235hp auto vs. 260hp manual