HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2nd Oldest Chevrolet Dealer Closing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM

That's why I got rid of our Saturn. THe dealers close to me were promised to be built and never were, the next closest dealers shut down.
So I had a car with proprietary service, using GM parts that the Chevy/Buick/GMC dealer near me could not touch.
I HAD to go to Saturn. Fifty miles is a long trip with a broken car. So away went our Saturn.

Bought a Chevy because Chevy dealers are everywhere, and another GM dealer, ( but not a Saturn dealer ) could repair them.
Now the Chevy dealers are closing. One next to my dad's house closed, now he has to travel to fix his Chevy.

Sorry you now have the same problem.
It does not bode well for GM does it?

"Market correction" I'm sure some elitist will say.........
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by wxman
If it was built in Texas, who do you think would be assembling it? Yep, Mexicans.

And no, I don't believe the quality differs because of where it was built. The people on the line should have very little impact on that. The engineers and accountants decide that part.

i would not have a problem with that cuz that means they are working US citizens and would be helping the US economy and providing jobs here in the US. im NOT racsist, i think thats what you meant by your comment. im all up for anyone that wants to be here in the US working and living here and being productive. when it boils down, if i wanted a forgein car more than likely i would have bought a toyota. after further research i found that i have very high chance the toyota i would have bought would have been built here in the US.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Things are tough right now for all the domestic dealers. We have made all sorts of cuts and reductions in our operation, all of our employees from the top down have accepted a cut in wages just to help keep the dealership solvent.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM

The hard fact is there are too many dealers for most GM divisions. Chevy dealers at one time were well over 2 to 1 vs Toyota.

With falling market share there is little need for a large number a weak dealers when fewer dealers will provide a stronger network.

Many of the dealers that are closing are too small or poorly operated dealers that contribute little to the big picture. Time has passed many by. It is sad as I always like dealing with the smaller dealer where you know the salesman will be there a year later because he is the owner.

But this is the real world and all endings are not fuzzy and warm.

The American auto industry as a whole have way more dealers than needed. Look for many GM, Ford and Chrysler dealers to close or be absorbed by larger dealer networkds.

It matters little where cars are built.

Kind of like splitting a dollar with 4 people vs 10 people. The 4 will do much more with their cut vs the 10 with there small cut.

Only the strong survive and the weak will wither and die.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 AM

AFTER 68 YEARS IN ST. LOUIS...

Our local Feld Chevrolet dealership is a third-generation family owned and operated dealership that has been selling and servicing Chevrolet’s since 1940 here in St. Louis, closed their doors last week...

Kind of weird seeing a lot that was weeks earlier filled with new and used Chevrolets and now just a bare vacant slab of asphalt after all these years.

They are facing legal action from GMAC LLC, the financing company allied to General Motors Corp.

The dealership's lot sits empty and padlocked. Calls made to the sales, parts and service phone numbers listed on the dealership's website were not answered.

According to the Missouri courts website, GMAC filed two lawsuits in St. Louis County circuit court — one on Monday and another on Wednesday — against the dealership.

And the Better Business Bureau of eastern Missouri and southern Illinois said on its website that the dealership's membership was suspended last Friday because "the company appears to be out of business."
Old 09-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Luckily in the St. Louis region we have quite a few dealerships to choose from (at this time), but that could change.

This one was within a mile from my home so now I'll be driving a bit farther.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by dpoll995
if gm would stop making cars in 3rd world counties then the cars would be a better quaility and they could up the price and keep the dealers open. man i was SO pissed when i found out my SS was built in mexico. if i wanted a mexican car i would have drove there and bought i NEW 1969 bettle. but now im stuck with 08 mexi-moblie...

Except then we couldn't afford the HHR. Instead of 23k for it they would be asking closer to 30k. Just remember there made in 3rd world Countries due to UAW needed $30-40hr and 80% of health Care covered.

Hell were still paying into someone's retirement who hasn't worked in 15-20yrs.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM

i dont mind paying more for things made in the USA,atleast i know the it will help us and more than likely be a better quaility. man you dont even want to get me started on unions. lol..
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM

thats truly a sad sight....

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna

AFTER 68 YEARS IN ST. LOUIS...

Our local Feld Chevrolet dealership is a third-generation family owned and operated dealership that has been selling and servicing Chevrolet’s since 1940 here in St. Louis, closed their doors last week...

Kind of weird seeing a lot that was weeks earlier filled with new and used Chevrolets and now just a bare vacant slab of asphalt after all these years.

They are facing legal action from GMAC LLC, the financing company allied to General Motors Corp.

The dealership's lot sits empty and padlocked. Calls made to the sales, parts and service phone numbers listed on the dealership's website were not answered.

According to the Missouri courts website, GMAC filed two lawsuits in St. Louis County circuit court — one on Monday and another on Wednesday — against the dealership.

And the Better Business Bureau of eastern Missouri and southern Illinois said on its website that the dealership's membership was suspended last Friday because "the company appears to be out of business."
Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 AM

It is kind of like the people I work with that hate Walmart. They say they would pay more to local people but in the end I see them at Wally World checking out because price rules in todays market.

I hate to see the small hardwares going away because of the big box stores but few can survive with the lower prices. Even Lowes and Home Depot both are killing each other and are not in great shape. It is a very competitive market any more.

It is no different with dealers.

People in this country all want to be millionaires and have it all but just don't want to work for it or pay for it.

Greed is king and everyone is at fault in this MTV cribs world.

Quick Reply: 2nd Oldest Chevrolet Dealer Closing