HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2nd Oldest Chevrolet Dealer Closing

Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
It is kind of like the people I work with that hate Walmart. They say they would pay more to local people but in the end I see them at Wally World checking out because price rules in todays market.

I hate to see the small hardwares going away because of the big box stores but few can survive with the lower prices. Even Lowes and Home Depot both are killing each other and are not in great shape. It is a very competitive market any more.

It is no different with dealers.

People in this country all want to be millionaires and have it all but just don't want to work for it or pay for it.

Greed is king and everyone is at fault in this MTV cribs world.

ya i try to avoid Wally world as much as possible. i know they are HUGE china importers. my company ships alot of equipmet oveseas (yaa! for selling our stuff overseas!) but the last couple months of the year we are lucky to get anything on the boats cuz wally has most of ships on call for bringing in all the china junk.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Founding Member

And yet another big Chevy dealer closes. But this group has a terrible reputation. Their business tactics cost them their dealership.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/sep...s-metro/?imw=Y
Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 AM

The Bill Heard group is shutting down. There are two Bill Heard dealerships in Florida as well as many others throughout the country. 2600-2700 of their employees join the unemployed.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Sigh,
We are all living on the same planet, no matter what abitrary border you cross.

Remember that.

We all are equally important, no matter what borders we are born behind.

Remember that to.

The real problem is if the playing field is level. Although I am in management, I work in Union shops. People here work hard, they live decenet lives and are good Americans. Their high wages are not the problem.
The problem is if the other countries taking the jobs are held to (near and in context) the same environmental, plant safety, and regulations that we are here in the states. How can one hope to compete if the other side cheats by dumping pollution, slaving workers, and using government subsidies above and beyond what is done here.

I beieve that any factory that I have ever worked at can compete with any around the world if on "equal" terms. Union wages included, and health care.

No need for the walmart-ification of factories, or avoiding foreign products, or union destrucution. Just let everyone compete as fair as possible, and America will come out on top.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 PM

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6384016

BH is closing its lots here in houston too. i bought my SS from the sugarland lot.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM

Just imagine what a Toyota will cost you when they run all the domestic car mfg's out of business.

And what's sad is that most of the people that buy them doesn't realize that their money goes to Japan.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
It is kind of like the people I work with that hate Walmart. They say they would pay more to local people but in the end I see them at Wally World checking out because price rules in todays market.

I hate to see the small hardwares going away because of the big box stores but few can survive with the lower prices. Even Lowes and Home Depot both are killing each other and are not in great shape. It is a very competitive market any more.

It is no different with dealers.

People in this country all want to be millionaires and have it all but just don't want to work for it or pay for it.

Greed is king and everyone is at fault in this MTV cribs world.

I very rarely go to Walmart, even though it is close by. I shop mostly at Target. And recently, my daughter just started a job there. The prices are a little higher, but it is so much more of a pleasant experience there. I hate waiting in long lines, or not being able to get any help from the employees. And almost every piece of electronics that I did buy at Walmart has been defective and had to be returned. Thus I stopped shopping there.

Yes, greed is rampant in the US. That is our culture, and it's sad. I personally don't want to be a millionaire. I just want to support my family and not have to worry about how to pay bills. But that comes down to being financially fiscal, and not buying over your head. Too many people buy houses that are way bigger than what they need, or cars that are way too fancy. Allowing certain people to buy on credit is like feeding alcohol to an alcoholic.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Since Bill Heard is mentioned in a previous post of this thread I thought I would mention an article in the business section of todays local paper.

Says that Heard filed bancruptcy for ALL of the dealerships that it ownsin the entire US. While it is trying to sell a few, the rest are on the auction block to apparently resolve SOME creditor issues.

Heard enterprises has $269 Million in past due liabilities......almost all of that is applied to the banks and companies that finance their floor plans. The rest is wages, taxes, "daily" debts.

Statement says they were losing 5-6 million a month since mid 2007. Also stated they had a problem eliminating a huge inventory of trucks, suv's...when the gas crunch occurred.

They own dealerships in several brands...Chevrolet, BMW, Chrysler to name a few.

To bad, times are getting tougher also.

Secondary Note......Power Automotive, the nations largest dealer network, announced it will be closing one of it's Chevrolet dealerships here in Phoenix. This particular one is located in an automotive corridor that retains a lot of sale attivity.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dpoll995
if gm would stop making cars in 3rd world counties then the cars would be a better quaility and they could up the price and keep the dealers open. man i was SO pissed when i found out my SS was built in mexico. if i wanted a mexican car i would have drove there and bought i NEW 1969 bettle. but now im stuck with 08 mexi-moblie...

Although, I'm NOT an advocate of subrogating jobs and products to other countries, I'm not sure that statement is entirely true.

As an example.......visit the history of the electronics industry, camera industry, optic industry, clothing industry, small appliances of a sorts. All these products were, at one time, produced in abundance within the US. Quality started to faulter JUST BEFORE AND DURING the transition to produce overseas. As production costs decreased with the foreign product, it became MORE feasible for companies to move more and more operations to other countries. And product quality increased.......cameras, TV's, video and audio equipment, as an example.

For the "old timers" here.....remember when KODAK and Polaroid were their respective market leader...how about RCA and Zenith......Tom McCann and Florshein.

Quality essentially requires GOOD ENGINEERING and GOOD ASSEMBLY CONTROL. The product can be produced anywhere, if these 2 issues are strictly maintained.

My 2 cents (which is worth less in todays market....I may need to offer my 6 cents)
Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 AM

Just saw on the news here Good Chevrolet in Alameda, The GMC dealer in Colma and Los Gatos Chevrolet all closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Oldest Chevrolet Dealer Closing