HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Another DEAD SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM

I have had no real problem with my SS. Just have to maintain it and care for it more since I drive the WHEELS off of it!!!! I beat it like a redheaded step child, and then care for it like a new puppy.

We as a culture focus on the bad more than the good, so it just seems like the SS has issues. Truth is that most of us share performance related fixes, like intake leaks, but that is just a way of informing our fellow SS owners on possible HP losses. We can't have HP losses!!! Stupid T-clamps and BOV springs.... I curse them for trying to rob me of my FUN!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
The DIC is set to include the turbo...otherwise GM would have never used it,,or recommended its use to the average driver out there , especially those that don't even know where to buy oil let alone know where its supposed to go...
Using the DIC settings, I can enable remote start on my SS, even if my SS is not equipped with remote start (AP3). The DIC is just a modern way of replacing the old ''dumb'' OIL lights that we had on cars, back in the day.

Check and replace the oil OFTEN, never rely on DIC's.

Last edited by HHR_SS_QC; 05-05-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
The DIC is set to include the turbo...otherwise GM would have never used it...time to graduate from the old school ....
Car has 8240 miles on original oil. DIC shows 33% oil life. That calculates to 12,485 miles before oil change on turbocharged motor?????????? New "whistles and bells" (DIC) passed off as "new technology" might not be all they're cracked up to be. Old school common sense is still required. By the way, that same DIC shows that I have a flat on a different tire every day, but my "old school" techniques, i.e. feel of steering effort and eyeballs say differently. I guess I'll come into the modern world and stop to change that tire because the DIC said so.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 PM

hdbykc... i want to note that my dealer told me to change the oil when DIC says 30-40% oil life.. I agree that still seems like a lot of miles (for you 8240) but just wanted to let you know what they told me. I still think i'll stick to my old method for oil changes.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM

You will find that 6K-8K is normal and will not hurt anything. Highway miles will go higher as it does little harm to oil.

Oil is like tires not like it used to be. Embrace the technology!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM

I heard somewhere (if not everywhere) that synthetic oil is more resilient to breakdown and lasts much longer than mineral based oil that we used to use some years ago.

I did one oil change so far with Mobil 1, which is a synthetic.

I log the linear mileage between oil changes and watch the DIC as well, but in any event, I doubt that it needs to be changed at 3000 mi intervals like that of mineral based oil in the past.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 AM

unless you are in extream conditions you do not need to do the 3,000 mile change anymore slain and simple.

Ther Turbo engine needs the Mobil One for the high heat. and you are wasting money doing it at the low mileage.

Changing it that early is like changing 80,000 mile tires at 20,000 miles because that is when you used to change the older poorer quality tires that would wear out sooner.

I used to be a 3,000 ,mile guy but I have been taught enough in training classes through work and read enough to know it really will go farther with no issues. The information is out their read it and learn why you can.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 AM

I don't want to rely on a gauge on the dashboard, either.

I drive alot. ALOT. 45 - 50 thousand miles a year. It's almost all highway driving.

So... when should I change my oil?

I'm leaning toward a 5,000-mile interval using synthetic oil. Could I go a little longer, say... to 7,500 miles?

Your opinions are welcome.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 AM

The best thing to do is to get an oil analysis done. You buy the kit, when your changing the oil you take a sample of the old oil and mail it to them. they give you a report on the oil condition along with a recommendation saying "you could have gone to xxx miles" or "you need to change the oil more often". It's best to do something like change the oil at 5k and see what they say and then if they say go longer go for the 7500 and see what the report says.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpeedway
I don't want to rely on a gauge on the dashboard, either.

I drive alot. ALOT. 45 - 50 thousand miles a year. It's almost all highway driving.

So... when should I change my oil?

I'm leaning toward a 5,000-mile interval using synthetic oil. Could I go a little longer, say... to 7,500 miles?

Your opinions are welcome.
With highway miles you can easily go 7,500 miles or even more. The meter on you dash really works as should reflect your highway driving in added miles.

At highway miles the oil is not in anyway abused like it is as when you pull away from a light or just make a short 15 min run to the store and not get the vehicle up to temp and get the oil to full temp.

A mother who drives here kit 5 blocks to school and home does more damage to oil than a very long trip on the highway. The short trip with out fulling getting the oil temp is condisered extream conditions. Driving 70 MPH with cruise control on for sever hundered miles is not considered extream.

Quick Reply: Another DEAD SS