HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Any 1/4 mile racers have any advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 11:08 PM

Cool Any 1/4 mile racers have any advice.

Anyone race their SS?

Im in Vegas and the track does not do a lot of open racing.

My brother has an SS, sister-in-law has an SS, my son has an SS. Dad had an SS till he passed.

So, ya we all love the SS’s.

My quandary at the moment. Son lives in Oregon. Brother in Puget sound.

I have my SS and LT. So I have a back up incase a race goes sideways on me.

I have not raced in a couple decades and the car was mainly stock.

Any advice on how to set up a 5-speed and Auto to race the ¼ mile.

The car I used to race was a late 60’s. So cars have changed in huge ways and I have not kept track.

I would not even have an idea on where to start.

My 5-speed gets squirly off the line and I know there is not much I can do about launching but hold tight and hope Odins on my side.

I think upgrading my turbo would be a good start. Can you put line locks on them to help with my launch. I have no clue how to use the one in the SS already. Launch control. I have only tired a couple times so my ex and kids will tell you it maybe that im doing in wrong. How does that launch control work?

How can I set up my and my sons for ¼ mile? Mine is 5-speed his is auto.

I keep seeing upgrades people have installed but no clue what the mods they have done are for.

I don’t want to change the car much. I want to be able to revert back to start if need be.

I know it’s a personal choice for each person how they race set up. I have been out of the loop for too long to even know where to start?

So any advice on race set up? What is recommended and how would it benefit all of us?

I love the shift on Ken Blocks car he ran through London but no clue if its an advantage to go that route.

I want to stay under the numbers that require a 5 point, fual cut off etc. Think that’s anything under 9 sec.

I am looking for way to keep me busy so strictly for fun, No plans to race full time. I don’t want to go all fckoffalicious. KISS method pretty much.

I need to find an outlet because otherwise ill spend my weekends cussing at my TV every time Gordon speaks but might enjoy punching Keselowski in the throat. ((m a Matt Kenseth fan which is why those two annoy men. Im also trying to be funny.

So any advice on setting up my five speed and my sons auto?

Still looking for Transformer Autobots emblem not sticker if it light up pap id be in heaven HHR art is hard to find.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:22 PM

First you should get the front engine mount for both cars. Also get the transmission mounts for the 5-speed. This is all from TurboTechRacing. They also have a rear sway bar that is really good, I don't know if it would help in the 1/4 mile drag.

Then head over to ZZPerformance. They have lots of good stuff. You could have them tune your ECM, or get the HP tuners tuning software and tune both ECMs yourself. They have the Opel fuel rail, nice bolt on performance, well it does require the ECM to be tuned.. They also have the upgraded TMAP sensors that you'll need if you increase the boost.

There's not much to gain by changing the air intake,, GM did a nice job on that.