HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Best tuner ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 PM

Best tuner ???

Been ready tons of post seems to be back and forth... Looking for the best tune for my SS all I have done is a forge bypass valve due to factory bypass having issues... So been looking at hp tuners and gm stage kit which is the best and most power for the least amount of money ? K&N intake on its way... I live in utah not sure if there's someone here that can tune... Would rather be user friendly so I can do it myself without having to tune and so fourth....
Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 AM

If you want to do and learn, HPTuners. In the long run it will be less expensive. If you are go in this direction don't do the GM Stage kit and install. Instead get the sensors and adapter connectors and do it yourself with HPT.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:50 AM

X2. Definitely worth the investment if you like to tinker. There's lots to learn over at the HPT forum.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
X2. Definitely worth the investment if you like to tinker. There's lots to learn over at the HPT forum.
Roger that
Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
If you want to do and learn, HPTuners. In the long run it will be less expensive. If you are go in this direction don't do the GM Stage kit and install. Instead get the sensors and adapter connectors and do it yourself with HPT.
Do I need the sensors ? And if I do do I need the pro verson of the hp tuner ? Would rather not tune myself and do hp tuners tune of it comes with one.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Well if you're not interested in tuning yourself I'd have to recommend Trifecta instead. The PRO version of HPT doesn't "exactly" work. It can, but you really need to understand what you and the ECM are doing. The GM 3 bar MAP sensors are part of the stage kit. Which, if you are going to get tuned, you'll want the 3 bar sensors top accurately read boost pressures.

I think you're asking if someone at HP will tune for you if you buy their software. I don't think it works that way. HPT is for tinkerers, who like headaches and pushing things to the limit. I think you'll want to get in touch with Vince over at Trifecta. They will ask for a list of mods and provide you with software and the cable to load the tune. Once you've loaded your "canned" tune. You will datalog and submit to Trifecta and they will get you dialed in. As best they can.

The best tuning is done in real time on a dyno. But you get a lot of bang for your buck out of a good canned tune.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:35 PM

Well if you're not interested in tuning yourself I'd have to recommend Trifecta instead. The PRO version of HPT doesn't "exactly" work. It can, but you really need to understand what you and the ECM are doing. The GM 3 bar MAP sensors are part of the stage kit. Which, if you are going to get tuned, you'll want the 3 bar sensors top accurately read boost pressures.

I think you're asking if someone at HP will tune for you if you buy their software. I don't think it works that way. HPT is for tinkerers, who like headaches and pushing things to the limit. I think you'll want to get in touch with Vince over at Trifecta. They will ask for a list of mods and provide you with software and the cable to load the tune. Once you've loaded your "canned" tune. You will datalog and submit to Trifecta and they will get you dialed in. As best they can.

The best tuning is done in real time on a dyno. But you get a lot of bang for your buck out of a good canned tune.
That sounds a little more up my alley, I don't want to tune myself it's ny daily driver just looking for more power and don't want to screw the tuning up myself lol
Old 01-16-2016, 06:47 PM

. HPT is for tinkerers, who like headaches and pushing things to the limit.

Trifecta leaves a lot of HP on the table.
There are 'bad' tuners out there too, that just want your money.
I change my own oil also, & wouldn't trust the so called 'pros', to change my oil.
HPT is for those that want the best 'tune' possible.

Canned 'tunes' are great, for those that aren't interested in 'tuning', just like guys, that can't/won't change their own oil, & take their cars to the stealership...

For those that want to push things to the limit, start with the GMPP tune 1st, as it has 'safeguards' build into the tune, to help prevent issues...
Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto

Trifecta leaves a lot of HP on the table.
There are 'bad' tuners out there too, that just want your money.
I change my own oil also, & wouldn't trust the so called 'pros', to change my oil.
HPT is for those that want the best 'tune' possible.

Canned 'tunes' are great, for those that aren't interested in 'tuning', just like guys, that can't/won't change their own oil, & take their cars to the stealership...

For those that want to push things to the limit, start with the GMPP tune 1st, as it has 'safeguards' build into the tune, to help prevent issues...
I'd love to tune myself but I don't even know where to start, my hhr already has 90k miles I want to get all I can but I don't want the error or blowing the motor by trying to tune myself... How can I trust someone tuning my car without even seeing it or without being on a dyno ? Set tunes have already been through that right by pros ? Right ? Where's the best and cheapest place to get the gmpp tune ?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM

You would have to buy a GM Stage kit first, 19212670, GM STAGE KIT,.

Then you have to go to a dealer to have it installed, the dealer would then get the tune fro GM and download it to your ECM. All said and done it may cost you up to 1K depending on the dealer.

Quick Reply: Best tuner ???