HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Boost Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM

Boost Gauge Question

Ok I hope this question isn't too dumb but I have never owned a turboed car before. I don't understand why the boost gauge goes from 0 to 30 in both directions. Most of the time when I am just cruising around it reads below 0 the only time I really see the boost build is when I am accelerating pretty hard. Doesn't the turbo always have some level of boost? I also showed the gauge to a guy I know, he is pretty good with cars and has had quite a few turboed cars but he has never seen a gauge like the one chevy uses. By the way my HHR SS is auto.

Could someone please explain to me how to read this gauge?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM

The gauge shows boost pressure and vacuum. The numbers above the 0 indicate boost pressure and the numbers less than 0 indicate vacuum. Turbocharged engine's can and will register a vacuum.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Above 0 is psi pounds per square inch pressure
Below 0 is in Hg inches of mercury vacuum
Even at 0 pressure is being produced
Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 AM

I too was confused. This is also my first turbo vehicle. I went back to the dealer and asked why the gauge was at a vacum when costing. He told me that its normal for it to show a vaccum costing and it reads the boost pressure from the intake not the turbo. He also told me to make sure and let it idle for 30 - 60 seconds before turning the engine off. Oh yeah and by the way this is my first post on here. Hi everyone.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by mugshot
I too was confused. This is also my first turbo vehicle. I went back to the dealer and asked why the gauge was at a vacum when costing. He told me that its normal for it to show a vaccum costing and it reads the boost pressure from the intake not the turbo. He also told me to make sure and let it idle for 30 - 60 seconds before turning the engine off. Oh yeah and by the way this is my first post on here. Hi everyone.
Yes, letting it idle a little bit is usually good. If you are taking long trips or running it hard, let it sit for even longer. It gives the turbo a chance to cool down.

The last thing you want to do is shut off the car when the turbo looks like this.

Name:  hot_turbo.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  17.7 KB

Granted that's an extreme situation, but it gives you an idea why. Just make it a habit to take it easy the last 5 minutes of your drive, and let it sit about a minute when you arrive. Also, when you start it up, let it settle around -20 in vacuum, it will love you more if you do that. If you take care of the turbo, there is no reason that it can't see 150k+ miles. If you hammer it all the time never let it warm up or cool down, you could be replacing it in 1500 miles. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Yes, letting it idle a little bit is usually good. If you are taking long trips or running it hard, let it sit for even longer. It gives the turbo a chance to cool down.

The last thing you want to do is shut off the car when the turbo looks like this.

Granted that's an extreme situation, but it gives you an idea why. Just make it a habit to take it easy the last 5 minutes of your drive, and let it sit about a minute when you arrive. Also, when you start it up, let it settle around -20 in vacuum, it will love you more if you do that. If you take care of the turbo, there is no reason that it can't see 150k+ miles. If you hammer it all the time never let it warm up or cool down, you could be replacing it in 1500 miles. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 07-03-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Removed pic from quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 AM

Welcome to the site and congrats on your SS.
My dealer did not tell me anything special about turbos but you can learn alot here.