HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Day 1 "Goodguys" Car show-Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Day 1 "Goodguys" Car show-Autocross

Pardon me while I toot Ole "4 Play's" horn a bit.
After a rainy start, finally got in four good solid runs on the autocross track.
Ole "4 Play" made a good showing for the "Little" motored-Auto-HHR-SS crowd.
"4 Play" being a 09 HHR-SS-Auto-Trifecta tune-Pedders-OTTP rear bar-TTR solid engine mount-plus other mods.
I ran against four highly modded, Autocross only cars, and five modded street cars, all V8's.
Stared out first run a 35 sec. run and kept lowering it down until fourth run, I ran a 32.98. I ending up faster than all street cars, and one highly modded Autocross car[A 08 Roush Mustang-Supercharged-500H.P.-ran a best of 34.17].
Crowd and competitors were impressed with the Handling, the wheelspin, and the loud BOV, and the snarling exhaust, when I made my runs. Changed more than a few peoples idea of a HHR-SS, in the process.
As Mike Maier[5 time autocross champ] said "That thing is wicked quick and puts on a hell of a show to boot"
Going back tomorrow and have some more fun on the course, and see if I can't eek out a quicker time. This thing is a real hoot to drive.
Did I mention, it's a automatic? "Moon"
Old 06-05-2011, 05:55 AM

re

nice driving moon

get us some more good PR - this vehicle could use some
i'm tired of explaining what this ride is and what it can do
Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Who's the man..... Awesome! coilovers will give you another second or so. Btw, don't get bitten too badly, next thing you know your ripping out everything that isn't welded in place, and replacing it with tube steel.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Deceased

Hey man, don't toot that horn, blast it! Good job upholding the honor of HHR's on the field of combat, and there isn't anything wrong with driving a "slushbox", just ask any drag racer who's done the quarter with a Powerglide.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:32 PM

What the HHR SS and Cobalt SS/Tc were built for.

To bad GM dropped the ball by not promoting either vehicle very well.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM

I would be careful with the 2-3 shift. I know you run the trifecta tune, and his tune causes the transmission to slip the 2-3 shift which is not good! you need HP tuners to fix it. you wont need it in the auto-cross, but just saying, be careful.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselracer
I would be careful with the 2-3 shift. I know you run the trifecta tune, and his tune causes the transmission to slip the 2-3 shift which is not good! you need HP tuners to fix it. you wont need it in the auto-cross, but just saying, be careful.
I doubt he gets into 3rd. think parking lot with orange cones. But alas Moon can elaborate.

Is your comment for the 5sp or Auto?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
I doubt he gets into 3rd. think parking lot with orange cones. But alas Moon can elaborate.

Is your comment for the 5sp or Auto?
Hes an automatic, and i know he wont hit 3rd in autocross, but just saying he should be careful. I also have an auto with trifecta, and it was no good on the tranny.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Day 2 "Goodguys" Autocross.
Made 11 runs today, each run nibbling off hundrets, until I made a 31.09 run on my next to last run. Last run overstepped my ability and pushed the front end twice on two of the sharp turns.
Real pleased at the times, as was the crowd and competitors, for such a little motor. Actually ran quicker than a lot of the cars, all V8 powered. Raised a lot of eyebrows, as to what a SS can do on a course.
I think I pretty much got all I could out of it on the 31.09 run. don't think I left anything on the table.
Since they did'nt have a class for me, I ran just for time, and the fun of it.
Course was fairly tight, so I only got into 2nd gear, twice on each run. Lots of wheelspin at WOT, which the crowd enjoyed even in 2nd gear.
Actually, a little sore from the g-forces. Must be the almost 70 yr. old body.
Next Autocross runs will be in Nov. "goodguys" show.
Had a lot of fun, and did'nt break any parts, so day was good. "Moon"
Footnote: The Pedders springs and OTTP rear bar worked super good. Big rear bar kept end end planted in the turns, with no rear wheel lift, and no push[within reason, determined by the nut behind the wheel].
Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Moon, again Awesome! Now just imangine if you still had the reflexes of a teenager, with what you already know.

Quick Reply: Day 1 "Goodguys" Car show-Autocross