HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Design flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Design flaw?

Has anyone else noticed that with the sunroof open, the fabric mesh (FABRIC?!!?!?) wind deflector makes a whole lotta wind noise? Not to mention how dirty it will get in no time.

A fabric wind deflector? Did Chevy forget to add a deflector and at the last minute the designers used some material from a pair of fishnet stockings that were left over from the HHR SS Xmas party?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Its the same on all HHRs. I dont know why they used it since all the other GM vehicles I have had used a hard plastic.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 PM

it is the same one but ill tell ya... I just upgraded from my 06 to the SS and it is louder then my old car....
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 PM

it's left over seat back pocket netting.
good news is, I dont see that wind deflector(anti-buffeting) costing too much.

But it does help...reach up and pull it down at 60 mph and feel the difference.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by waloupis
Has anyone else noticed that with the sunroof open, the fabric mesh (FABRIC?!!?!?) wind deflector makes a whole lotta wind noise? Not to mention how dirty it will get in no time.

A fabric wind deflector? Did Chevy forget to add a deflector and at the last minute the designers used some material from a pair of fishnet stockings that were left over from the HHR SS Xmas party?
It's perforated fabric, because at street speeds, hard deflectors can still cause the air pressure flutter. My old Volvo 940 wagon had the hard deflector, but even with that, at 35-45 mph, it would still cause an internal pressure flutter unless you opened a window slightly. I think GM was trying to address the solid deflector issue. Also, I don't know how it relates to affecting aerodynamics over the roof when you diffuse rather than deflect upwards.

The fabric gets dirty quick, has a hiss to it, and if bees hit it (which they do a lot in my area), they smack it and flip on to your lap. Too that, the side mirror inner edge deflect bugs directly across the dash depositing their pieces into the floor console pocket space.

HHR SS Canuck
Old 02-04-2008, 05:02 PM

I hope to someday have the pleasure of riding around with my sunroof or windows open. Spring is coming soon, then maybe I too can complain about noise.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 PM

I have not noticed any excessive noise from my sunroof when open. However if you try to crack one of the back windows open a bit at highway speed, WOW what a...well hard to describe it almost like a subwoofer repeating the same beat. Must be an anomoly of the design.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM

When I had a rental 1LT back on 06. I let the rear windows down about half way and left the front windows closed and the woofer noise effect was awful! Sounded like I had two 18's in the back droaning a 40 Htz test tone.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Copperhead
When I had a rental 1LT back on 06. I let the rear windows down about half way and left the front windows closed and the woofer noise effect was awful! Sounded like I had two 18's in the back droaning a 40 Htz test tone.
Prior SUV's that I have owned made the same noise. I liken it to more like a helicopter landing on the roof of the vehicle. I haven't tried in my HHR yet. But I bet it is the same noise.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Prior SUV's that I have owned made the same noise.
That's called "wind buffeting" and is common in almost every car out there.

Quick Reply: Design flaw?