HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Does using 87 octane really save money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You quoted my post. But I am not sure if you are directing this post to my quote. I thought I said I would burn premium in a turbo engine and I recommend everyone (except clevelandhhr) do the same. Maybe I am just confused, this has been a long hard day.
No, I wasn't dissing you or anyone else. I was backing you about using the proper gas in the car. I am confused as to why people buy a premium burning vehicle and then go cheap on the gas. Nobody can snivel about it's because of high gas prices. We have known for quite awhile that gas prices are going to continually go up.

I hope your evening goes better.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 PM

I have both supercharged and turbo GM cars that were designed as recommended for high test but can run on regular.

I was at the house of the past manager of the Monte Carlo and Impala program. He told me you can run either with no problem. You will lose HP but the lower gas will not hurt the car. He wanted the Series III 3800 SC for his cars but was only given the Series II that has to have high test. He was not happy.

His wife is in charge of the new Camaro program and the V8 engines I was told would be recomneded for high test but will also run fine on regular. They will not suffer any damage.

My feeling is if it is ok with GM who holds the 5 year warranty it must not hurt anything more than performance.

Right now the price of 87 and 91 are so close it really is not an issue but in the past it could be 20-30 cents more. a gallon and for some people who drive a lot it can add up quick

I have used high test in the GTP but it also runs fine if it has regular. You do note a performance differance. I had read it was about 20 HP in the GTP. Pontiac said it was 260 on 91 and 240 on 87.

It is enough to pull the wheel out of your hand [torque steer] when it won't on 87.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 PM

When I first bought my HHR SS (93 Octane) I put nothing but premium in it but I did one full tank of gas of 87 Octane in it and I felt a difference. I only put the 87 in because when I went to get gas the stations premium and midgrade pumps were out of order and since my low fuel warning had been on for like 20 miles I figured I would get some gas and said what the hell and filled it up. The acceleration wasn't as responsive and it was a little more sluggish. At first I didn't really notice it until I had to hit the gas because some ******* wouldn't merge over or get out of the way on the highway. Well when I punched it she was not her peppy self. I think I will stick with premium as it is only about 15 cents more a gallon. Also my Step Father (Mechanic for Pontiac) recommends it because higher octane gas usually burns cleaner and causes less gunk build up. He claims that not all gas is the same and since he knows more about cars than I do I will take his word on it.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 PM

I run 87 all the time, it loves it...It sure seems to bother a lot if you that the owners manual does not say premium required......
Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Owebo
I run 87 all the time, it loves it...It sure seems to bother a lot if you that the owners manual does not say premium required......
I've been alternating between regular and premium. I honestly cannot tell the difference with the automatic. Then again, I am not getting on it regularly. I drive mostly highway miles and there is more than enough grunt to get me up to cruising speed in a hurry. So much so that I have to be careful or I'm up to 80 mph in a heartbeat.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:28 PM

No, it doesn't love it, it tolerates it.

Sad, so sad. This is the only turbo forum I visit that most people are not into performance. It is sad that a vehicle as nice as the HHR SS is is not appreciated for the performance vehicle it is. It's being turned into a Honda by some people to cheap to appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by white heat
No, it doesn't love it, it tolerates it.

Sad, so sad. This is the only turbo forum I visit that most people are not into performance. It is sad that a vehicle as nice as the HHR SS is is not appreciated for the performance vehicle it is. It's being turned into a Honda by some people to cheap to appreciate it.
No, it loves it...really..... It performs great too.....imagine that...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You quoted my post. But I am not sure if you are directing this post to my quote. I thought I said I would burn premium in a turbo engine and I recommend everyone (except clevelandhhr) do the same. Maybe I am just confused, this has been a long hard day.
I have run either 87 or 94. Nothing in between. The cost difference in minimal, and snoop-dog belives (and his 4000 miles of driving has convinced me) that in the 2.4, running premium, the cost is equally offset by a slight increase in mileage.

I believe that if you get less then 27mpg overall in a turbo SS you should run the highest octane that money will buy (I can write a page on why..but you get my drift)

Since I run my SS as a commuter, and get minmum 34-36mpg overall 66%highway 33% city, i can sip 87 with no problem. I don't see 4 or 5 thousand rpm regularly, or drive it like i stole it on the way to work. So there is no need to fight knock that I don't generate. My SS is convinced that i can drive 11,000+ miles with out an oil change. I could care less about the quarter or so difference in the gas price, it's the 36mpg that saves the money.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 PM

I find it strange that the manual for the SS doesn't say to use 91 or 93, but for the 2.4 it does.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 PM

Page 5-5 of the '08 owners manual :

If your vehicle has the 2.0L L4 engine (VIN Code X)
or the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code P), use premium
unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or
higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline
rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s
acceleration could be slightly reduced, and you might
notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly
referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87,
you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you
drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane
or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could
damage the engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 87
octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the
engine needs service.

Quick Reply: Does using 87 octane really save money?