HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Does using 87 octane really save money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM

This is a test I've been dying to find out. I just order a Passport G-timer on Amazon, only $49 bucks. I going to run it's 1/4 mile tests on 91 and 87 and find out the performance results. Should have them to post in 2 tank fills.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by white heat
No, it doesn't love it, it tolerates it.

Sad, so sad. This is the only turbo forum I visit that most people are not into performance. It is sad that a vehicle as nice as the HHR SS is is not appreciated for the performance vehicle it is. It's being turned into a Honda by some people to cheap to appreciate it.
LOL, I can appreciate a loving jab WH.
My SS is simply a commuter car. I bougth it specifically for the mileage and cargo. I really wanted a loaded LT back when these cars first hit the dealership. I test drove the first one on the lot. My feeling was that the handling didnt suit my driving style. They also didnt have a single manual on the lot for a while. Well almost 3 more years on my s10, and boom, here comes an unplanned kid, and $4 gasoline. I didnt forget how much I liked this car so I searched every car on the market under $50,000, that could accomidate a baby seat, my bike and trailer to tow my son while I put 50-150 miles on my bike (bicycle) a week.

Well I picked the best car.

Nothing out there can hold the specific cargo I need, get equivalent or better gas mileage, cost $22,800 or less, do 150mph, turn like it was born for Germany's more famous roads/tracks, have A style versus "a lets offend no one blandness" (like the civic btw), and is built by a company I respect, gave my Dad a great retirement, paid for my college, and gave me my engineering start.

There is more to a car than the engine, and more to driving than HP. It is not sad that I can apperciate MANY aspects of this car.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by white heat
No, it doesn't love it, it tolerates it.

Sad, so sad. This is the only turbo forum I visit that most people are not into performance. It is sad that a vehicle as nice as the HHR SS is is not appreciated for the performance vehicle it is. It's being turned into a Honda by some people to cheap to appreciate it.
Not at all surprising, a turbocharged engines that doesn't require premium gas is relatively unique. Making this available with that option for the consumer is a real plus for GM and the vehicle. It provides added versatility to a very versatile vehicle and I believe, a welcomed feature. The fact that people are taking advantage of it should not be surprising. The diversity of use is a bonus for the SS and does not mean people are still not enjoying the performance and the handling any more than criticising people who opt for the reduced HP with the automatic (and I'm not).
Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM

What I don't understand are the people that get so wound up on who uses what.

It is like Pepsi and Coke. Who cares what the other guy is using it does not effect me or you.

GM says you can use either but to expect changes enough sid there.

There is no right or wrong here so whats the debate?

I use 91 but if someone wants 87 so be it if they are happy it is their choice.

After driving a Supercharged engine that can use either it runs fine on both. If you want more power and to run it hard best to use 91. If you are just driving to work on the freeway 87 runs fine. No knocks no great loss of power that turns you into a road block or other bad things happen.

GM builds these cars to make the warranty with ease and build in margins of safety. The engine will not implode on regular it simply will not perform upto it full power.

I like the extra power so it is 91. If you like how it runs on 87 go for it.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
What I don't understand are the people that get so wound up on who uses what.

It is like Pepsi and Coke. Who cares what the other guy is using it does not effect me or you.

GM says you can use either but to expect changes enough sid there.

There is no right or wrong here so whats the debate?

I use 91 but if someone wants 87 so be it if they are happy it is their choice.

After driving a Supercharged engine that can use either it runs fine on both. If you want more power and to run it hard best to use 91. If you are just driving to work on the freeway 87 runs fine. No knocks no great loss of power that turns you into a road block or other bad things happen.

GM builds these cars to make the warranty with ease and build in margins of safety. The engine will not implode on regular it simply will not perform upto it full power.

I like the extra power so it is 91. If you like how it runs on 87 go for it.
You couldnt have said it any better...........
Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
You couldnt have said it any better...........

Yup.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Redface
This is a test I've been dying to find out. I just order a Passport G-timer on Amazon, only $49 bucks. I going to run it's 1/4 mile tests on 91 and 87 and find out the performance results. Should have them to post in 2 tank fills.
I'd recommend putting a few tanks of non-current fuel through it before the test with the non-current grade. As I understand it, the on-board computer typically takes a few weeks to bring the torque as close to spec as possible. Switching from 91 to 87, the first tank will probably have really bad performance, but that should improve over several weeks as the system gradually adjusts.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM

With 87 octane, I have not noticed any engine knock yet.

My SS is so new that I'm kind of feeling it out to see what the benefits of higher octane will do for me as far as performance and MPG.

I don't get the mindset of those that insist that 93 octane has to be used or else you are "offending" an SS vehicle.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR

I don't get the mindset of those that insist that 93 octane has to be used or else you are "offending" an SS vehicle.
LOL
Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
His wife is in charge of the new Camaro program and the V8 engines I was told would be recomneded for high test but will also run fine on regular. They will not suffer any damage.
which part of the program?

Tom Peters -- Director - GM Design - Camaro/Corvette
Al Oppenheiser -- Vehicle Chief Engineer -- Camaro
John Santilli -- Vehicle Line Director - Camaro

Quick Reply: Does using 87 octane really save money?