HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Dumb Comment & Question About Gas Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 10:25 PM

Dumb Comment & Question About Gas Type

Hi, so recent gas shortage forced me to use regular gas and to my surprise the car seems to run better than on premium and I have no idea why. With premium its sluggish and not as responsive as I would expect. Yes I know it's best to go with the recommended gas than anything else but my question is will it really hurt anything in the long term if I decide to keep using regular? Any specific thing to look for? I have done several refills with regular gas in recent weeks and there is no denying that it runs better. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the previous owner was only using regular gas and now it's used to it. (I know I don't know much about this stuff so forgive me.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Is it at all possible that the fuel delivery guy put hi test in the regular holding tank?
Before you start running regular, try a 1/2 tank from another filling station .
If you have been filling up at the one station with hi test, and your SS is running sluggish, could it be that tank has water in it?
try a 1/2 tank of high test from a different station that pumps a different brand!
Old 05-27-2021, 08:24 AM

Depends on what you mean by regular. 87, 91 or 93. a stock SS is supposed to run 91, with a GMTU tune it is 93. 2.2L run fine on 87 regular.
Could be a difference in alcohol. More alcohol means more power/lower mpg.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:35 AM

Yes, there is something else going on here. The SS should NOT run better on regular gas. Perhaps the premium you were buying did not have all the good additives(like Techron, etc.), and the regular does, and has done some cleaning of the injectors.

If you keep your foot out of the throttle, you should not notice any difference between regular and premium. Also, if you keep your foot out of the throttle, you will not do any damage to the engine with regular. But if you do occasionally get on it, you need the higher octane rating of the premium.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 06-05-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Is it at all possible that the fuel delivery guy put hi test in the regular holding tank?
Before you start running regular, try a 1/2 tank from another filling station .
If you have been filling up at the one station with hi test, and your SS is running sluggish, could it be that tank has water in it?
try a 1/2 tank of high test from a different station that pumps a different brand!
Yes I thought the same thing at first but I have been using different stations since I got it about six months ago. It runs well overall but can be noticeably sluggish. BTW all usual stuff like air filter, oil change and other basic stuff have been done. For instance when I'm at the red light I can barely keep up with many cars unless I really step on the gas. But then when I tried 87 gas recently I notice that it more responsive and the engine is smoother. BTW I had been using only Premium 93. Thanks.

Last edited by ibenzawla; 06-01-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Depends on what you mean by regular. 87, 91 or 93. a stock SS is supposed to run 91, with a GMTU tune it is 93. 2.2L run fine on 87 regular.
Could be a difference in alcohol. More alcohol means more power/lower mpg.
That makes sense. I have only been using 93 or the highest grade. Will switch to 91 the next refill. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Yes, there is something else going on here. The SS should NOT run better on regular gas. Perhaps the premium you were buying did not have all the good additives(like Techs in, etc.), and the regular does, and has done some cleaning of the injectors.

If you keep your foot out of the throttle, you should not notice any difference between regular and premium. Also, if you keep your foot out of the throttle, you will not do any damage to the engine with regular. But if you do occasionally get on it, you need the higher octane rating of the premium.
Will try mid grade next time and post the result. Truly strange. Thanks
Old 05-31-2021, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

I run only 100% gas, usually 89. My non-turbo 2.4L seems good with it.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
I run only 100% gas, usually 89. My non-turbo 2.4L seems good with it.
Where I live it's hard to find 91 which according to someone here is the recommended gas for the SS. So I've been using 89. In terms of performance its about the same as 87. If I have to choose I'll go with 87. Both seems to be better than 93 on my particular SS. Where the 93 has a clear edge is gas savings. I notice that the gas lasts longer when using 93 which is to be expected. Very weird.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:54 PM

You don't have to take internet advice. You could consult your Owner Manual for recommendations and requirements. If you have the GMTU there is a sticker in the fuel filler port advising about the requirement.
Look at my sig before you say it.

Last edited by donbrew; 06-01-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Dumb Comment & Question About Gas Type