HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

E47 tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
But, you will still need the E47 tune to run that mixture.
Yes, of course, & the title of this thread is, E47 Tune...

BUT, everyone with ANY, & ALL, types of a gasoline "tune", can run an E22 mixture, in
there LNF buggy, with NO retuning needed...
This is for all HHR SS,

E22 is a beautiful fuel, as at a level of 20% Ethanol in your tank, "knock"
protection of your HHR SS engine, has been attained.
E47 = 50/50 mix
E22 = 5 gallons of E10 premium gas + 1 gallon of E85

This means no more worrys about 'pinging/knock".
Your engine will last far longer, if it never "pings/knocks".
You will gain some power, even on a stock "tune".
Also, some of you with "tunes", that are on the "edge", with aggressive timing tables,
will benefit the most, with an E22 fuel blend...

Read these MIT studys, on Ethanol, & how wonderful it is, for our HHR SS...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...72197243,d.aWw
http://www.psfc.mit.edu/library1/cat...ja016_full.pdf

And also this cool Delphi study on using Ethanol fuel in an HHR SS engine:
http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2011-01-0900.pdf

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 08-02-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 AM
JSK

GREAT thread - thanks guys! ...I'm just about to acquire my 2010 SS with a 5-spd & Brembos/LSD, and was wondering if I'd be able to take advantage of e85 in the St. Louis area. Sounds like the proven e47 strategy is a no-brainer!

I'm not familiar with these new-fangled cars (selling my 91 Corolla Alltrac wagon to get into this century!) - if I'm following this "tuner" concept correctly, I think I need:
1 - a pretty easy hardware upgrade (wiring harness like the OEM GM Turbo Upgrade?)
2 - a laptop and cable to plug into the car's computer interface
3 - a software program (haven't figured out this completely - some mention a "tune" used in conjunction with a vendor's product)
4 - a gas pump with e85
5 - wide open roads

Forgive me if I haven't found these basics already posted - been reading for a couple hours now and couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance -
Jerry
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 PM

The GM Stage 1 turbo upgrade is;

2x upgraded 3bar map sensors
A dealer installed tune
You can pick up the sensors from ZZP and they'll come with provisions to connect your existing harness. Then skip the dealer and look into real tunes.

There are a few common choices for tuning. There are canned tunes. Vendor provides software, cable, and tune. Further tweaking is done via data logging and sending that info back to the vendor. Then there's tuning software. You are doing the tuning, tweaking, and data logging. Depends on how far you plan to go and what you're willing to spend. Another member was just asking the difference in tunes, I'll see if I can link it. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...t-tuner-56002/

Another great source of info is the cobalt ss forum.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:12 AM
JSK

Thanks very much, Dbeluscak - I read that linked thread and will peruse the cobalt ss forum as well.

I see that the 3bar map sensors & harnesses may run about $150, but it seems like the tunes are where the real money gets shelled out.

2005HHRAuto's setup is VERY enticing: K&N, maybe gut a cat and an e47.5 tune (with those 3bars of course) seem soooo simple (I'd love to take advantage of having e85 in my area) and so much bang for the buck.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:27 AM

FWIW, E-47 with a tune has been found to be better for the LNF than E-85.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
Thanks very much, Dbeluscak - I read that linked thread and will peruse the cobalt ss forum as well.

I see that the 3bar map sensors & harnesses may run about $150, but it seems like the tunes are where the real money gets shelled out.

2005HHRAuto's setup is VERY enticing: K&N, maybe gut a cat and an e47.5 tune (with those 3bars of course) seem soooo simple (I'd love to take advantage of having e85 in my area) and so much bang for the buck.
Don't forget the TurboTech engine mount...
The stock mount is so pitiful, it's absolutely the worst part on our SS buggy, & GM should be so embarrassed for putting on this low grade mount...

And yes, it is that simple...
Our buggy is so easy to improve, with very little effort...

1. The K&N air intake takes care of the intake restriction.
2. Coring the 2nd cat takes care of the exhaust restriction.
3. An E47 tune releases the power, & really no need for the 3 bar sensors.
4. The TurboTech mount plants the power.
These 4 easy mods will only take 4 hours to install...

With just these 4 simple changes, your buggy will be a powerful & smooth DD beast on the street, & will crack into the 12s at the track, if you have the 'rubber' to make it 'hook'...

No need for:
Aftermarket DPs, 3" exhaust systems, intercoolers, charge pipes, camshafts, ported head, bigger turbo, V8 swap, ect.
These are only needed for your 'tastes', your peace of mind, your individual needs, or my **** is bigger than yours...LOL
I believe in that motto, "keep-it-simple", don't over 'engineer' it...

If you only had to do just one thing to your buggy, get a tune, any tune, a tune will make a "night-&-day" difference...
You'll think that your tuner is a "GOD", as a tune, will really 'wakeup' your buggy...
GM gave us an excellent starting point...

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 01-29-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:33 AM

2005HHRauto, with regard to the "SS", your last post is about as close to summing-up years of discussion and trial and error in one post as you could get!!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM
JSK

DrLoch - thanks for the distinction on the e47 vs e85. My understanding is that we use e85 with premium to concoct the e47 so I only referred to e85 as an ingredient available to me.

Kersh - i am SO glad I ran across one of 2005HHRAuto's posts with that summary -- thanks for validating what appeared to be the case!

2005HHRAuto - i thank you for your reply especially since your succinct summary gave me so much hope for a simple, safe, fast car that I decided to buy an HHR SS! and - WOW - I don't need the 3bar map sensors??? If I don't need them, I won't get 'em - but they seemed like an easy upgrade.

I got home last night from Tulsa with my 2010 HHR SS, but the honeymoon ended before I took her off the lot. Please check my new thread describing my experience...
Old 08-31-2020, 07:12 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
For anyone doing their own tune with HPTuner, shoot me an email,
& I’ll send you my E47 “tune”, for you to compare with, & to help you,
“tune”, your own E47 setup.
LindaDave83@hotmail.com

The “base” for my “tune” is the 3 bar GMPP factory performance upgrade “tune”.
It’s been a work-in-progress, for 5 years, & 25,000 miles.

Just this month alone, I finally tackled the Optimum Spark tables, with the
great advise, from some really smart guys over on the HPTuner forum.
It really has improved the mid-range, & I now idle at 10 degrees.
Without the help from those guys, this 61 year old, would never have figured
any of this stuff out.

Also, I reworked the auto shift points this month, to really improve daily driving.
This E47 “tune”, is really smooth, & powerful on the street.
Makes my “buggy”, a really fun mild mannered daily driver.
E47 is the “bomb”…

The great thing about an E47 “tune”, is that most of it is the same “tune”, as a straight gasoline “tune”.
The “Fuel-Constant”, & all the “Spark-Tables”, is really the only changes needed, to “tune”, to the fuel of your choice…
sorry to resurrect this very old thread but 2005HHRauto I sent you an email if you could message me back with a copy of your tune please? i'm in process of converting to e47 as well.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:31 AM
Administrator

He hasn’t been on this site since 5/3/2019, I don’t think he will be sending you a response.

Quick Reply: E47 tune