HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Friday Not a fun day! Head Gasket failure.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Friday Not a fun day! Head Gasket failure.

So starting on Thursday I noticed the fan staying on a bit longer than usual and didn't pay much mind to it. Weather has been warming up in Georgia this week so expect some additional heat in the motor. Friday on the way to work my coolant light comes on and I notice the temp gauge is registering a high temp. Switched the heat on high, opened windows and changed to the temp reading on the DIC. Temps went to 270 by the time I was able to stop. Found that the coolant was almost gone and no outward leaks from anywhere. topped it off with water and made it to work. Checked level before going home and topped off again, but it was down again by the time I got home. Needless to say after looking at the oil several times I am noticing the oil is changing color to the whitish look. Ughh!

I've ordered a complete head gasket set from Crate Engine and a brand new head from another supplier. I also plan on changing the water pump, VVT gears and coil packs at this time.

I have already changed the timing and balance shaft chains and guides so I should be good there.

Any other suggestions on things I should look for when changing it out this weekend?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Administrator

A new AC Delco thermostat and new ARP head bolts or studs!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Gonna use the new bolts that come with the kit from Crate Engine Depot. Thanks Blue Thermostat is now on my list.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Well those GM bolts are good to, they are torque plus degrees to stretch to tolerance, just with that new head I wouldn't reuse the old bolts , that 270 degrees heat would have rendered them useless
Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks I knew that the bolts are one time use already. Is there a specific tool I need to properly stretch the bolts, or will a regular torque wrench work?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Just a torque wrench.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:23 PM
JSK

My condolences on the loss of your head gasket.

How many miles are on your ride? ...awfully sorry, in any case...
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by whopper
Just a torque wrench.
And a torque angle gauge.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 AM

113,000 miles. new timing chain, balance shaft chain, dexron antifreeze, plugs, motor mounts, and changed the oil twice in the last 10000 miles. I'm guessing it was going bad all along, but either way it needs one now. LOL

Originally Posted by JSK
My condolences on the loss of your head gasket.

How many miles are on your ride? ...awfully sorry, in any case...
Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 PM

So the problems continue

Originally Posted by Stealth HHR
113,000 miles. new timing chain, balance shaft chain, dexron antifreeze, plugs, motor mounts, and changed the oil twice in the last 10000 miles. I'm guessing it was going bad all along, but either way it needs one now. LOL
After all the work i completed over the weekend I have found out I still have a leak somewhere in the motor. The only two options I have left are the water pump springing a leak into the timing chain area, or a cracked block. The car runs good and temps are running from 187 to 210 I'm hoping that the issue is the water pump. I will be dropping it off to the Chevy dealer to change the pump out. I know most people do it when the timing chain is done, but i didn't do it then. I will hope it's a water pump issue because if not it is getting traded very soon. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Friday Not a fun day! Head Gasket failure.