HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Getting rid of my Trifecta tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM

Getting rid of my Trifecta tune?

I am trying to get an HPtuners e47 tune on my car, but I currently have a Trifecta tune. I have to have the Trifecta tune removed first, but the previous owner had the tune done and Trifecta says they dont recognize the vin as being tuned.

I tried reaching out to the tuner (socal_trifectatunes@yahoo.com, Justin Stockton) but get no response.

Any way around paying $100 to have the dealer reinstall the factory tune?!?!?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Technical Moderator

You could just by a used ECM, they run under $100
Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 AM

If it were me, I would have the dealer blow in the factory tune. That way you would be starting at a known good spot, or, as donbrew suggests a used 2010 SS 5spd ECM that has your VIN. I don't know for sure if say the BCM is tied to the specific VIN or not.

as a side note I do know that on a Cadillac STS V I just bought a number of thing are tied to the VIN and if replace them you need to go to a dealer and have them reassociated to VIN. In my case it's the SDM module and then the passenger present module has to be reconfigured. A major PITA. Those cars as well as the CTS are notorious for having the air bag connectors under the seats going bad. The hacks before me changes the SDM cause that's what they thought was wrong, it was the connectors. The SDM module they put in was the wrong one for that year/model.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by DrLoch
If it were me, I would have the dealer blow in the factory tune. That way you would be starting at a known good spot, or, as donbrew suggests a used 2010 SS 5spd ECM that has your VIN. I don't know for sure if say the BCM is tied to the specific VIN or not.

as a side note I do know that on a Cadillac STS V I just bought a number of thing are tied to the VIN and if replace them you need to go to a dealer and have them reassociated to VIN. In my case it's the SDM module and then the passenger present module has to be reconfigured. A major PITA. Those cars as well as the CTS are notorious for having the air bag connectors under the seats going bad. The hacks before me changes the SDM cause that's what they thought was wrong, it was the connectors. The SDM module they put in was the wrong one for that year/model.
Same thing on HHR. You don't need to do anything to replace the ECM (with VIN) except maybe re learn the crankshaft.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You could just by a used ECM, they run under $100
Originally Posted by DrLoch

Originally Posted by donbrew
Same thing on HHR. You don't need to do anything to replace the ECM (with VIN) except maybe re learn the crankshaft.
So I just need to find a 2010 manual SS ECM? Plug and play other than maybe a relearn?

Is it part # 12623326 ?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:10 PM

You can change the VIN in HP Tuners, but, I believe you will have to be licensed to that VIN as well as your own. You can try this person, SpareECM | eBay Stores I have gotten them from him in the past and he can change the VIN number
Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Please forgive my ignorance. Doesn't Trifecta usually leave the factory tune there, and you can switch between the 2? Or maybe this isn't actually a Trifecta, but something else altogether?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Please forgive my ignorance. Doesn't Trifecta usually leave the factory tune there, and you can switch between the 2? Or maybe this isn't actually a Trifecta, but something else altogether?
I can use the cruise control to switch back to a factory tune, but most tuners will not tune "over" a trifecta as I guess there is a chance of "bricking" the ecm.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

To me it would seem easier to spend the $100 to have your current ECM reflashed back to stock.
Versus buying a different ECM, having to swap it out and programmed in if needed. Heck, you may even wind up spending more doing a ECM swap out.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Or have GM flash in the GMTU, like George has(if they still know how) as a base. Sounds like that's what Dave did here https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...54/#post790205

Quick Reply: Getting rid of my Trifecta tune?