HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

GM 15938134 SS Auto CV Half Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:31 PM

GM 15938134 SS Auto CV Half Shaft

GM has discontinued/ sold out of part # 15938134. This part# is exclusive to 2008, 2009 and 2010 HHR SS models with the automatic transmission. No other part numbers will cross reference in in the GM line-up.

The good news...I contacted The Driveshaft Shop | Chevrolet - Domestic Axles and they will produce them aftermarket if someone can send them a brand new unused GM part in the box. They will not accept a used axle to produce a copy from. Does anyone on here have one of these in their stash of parts? The automatic uses the same axle left to right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The only other option we automatic owners have is to send the originals out for rebuild. I'd honestly like to have upgraded newer versions as I rely on my vehicle for daily transportation.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:05 PM

I would be very, VERY interested in upgraded axles for my ss auto as well. Too bad i don't have the part
Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiocruiser
I would be very, VERY interested in upgraded axles for my ss auto as well. Too bad i don't have the part
I truly hope we can find a member on the forum here that has a spare axle that can be used as a pattern. It will help all of us in the long haul!
Old 10-28-2017, 03:44 PM

We have members who have verified that there is an aftermarket part that fits. GM8206 https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...el-pump-57070/
Old 10-28-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
We have members who have verified that there is an aftermarket part that fits. GM8206 https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...el-pump-57070/
With all due respect, just because a part fits and a few people have been driving their vehicles down the road (so far) with success, doesn't necessarily mean this option is correct for the application. If the overall compressed length measurement specification I'm finding online for the GM8206 is correct, the dimension is around 1/2" longer than the GM 15938134. I personally have not physically compared the two side by side but do currently have the factory GM axles out of my vehicle and roughly measured them. My concern would be the axles bottoming out at some point and possibly doing damage to the transmission. I'm personally not one to take chances.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jojothetattooboy
With all due respect, just because a part fits and a few people have been driving their vehicles down the road (so far) with success, doesn't necessarily mean this option is correct for the application. If the overall compressed length measurement specification I'm finding online for the GM8206 is correct, the dimension is around 1/2" longer than the GM 15938134. I personally have not physically compared the two side by side but do currently have the factory GM axles out of my vehicle and roughly measured them. My concern would be the axles bottoming out at some point and possibly doing damage to the transmission. I'm personally not one to take chances.
Ahhh, that's a piece we've been missing. No one has provided the dimensions of the GM axle. So you're saying it's around 21 1/8"?

I guess another important question would be, what is the installed length, and how much do they compress with full suspension travel? Do they compress, or lengthen, with suspension travel?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Technical Moderator

I remember posting the dimensioons somewhere.

Yes the inner end has several inches of in/out play. That is what the tri-pot does.

The overall length is measured compressed. The axle is installed partially extended.

I can't envision a circumstance that the axle geometry would shorten anymore than when horizontal to the ground.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I can't envision a circumstance that the axle geometry would shorten anymore than when horizontal to the ground.
That's kinda what I was thinking too.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Ahhh, that's a piece we've been missing. No one has provided the dimensions of the GM axle. So you're saying it's around 21 1/8"?

I guess another important question would be, what is the installed length, and how much do they compress with full suspension travel? Do they compress, or lengthen, with suspension travel?
Yes, around 21 1/8" ... A half inch seems quite a bit to me.

I'd say they lengthen and compress at different rates during suspension travel and also vary depending on straight line and turn/cornering conditions. I'm really not sure how much length difference GM factored into the equation. I'm finding that these particular 2008-2010 SS HHR's have some factory parts that are exclusive to this particular model only. I have a 2009 Panel SS and am glad I decided to drive and enjoy it. Hopefully aftermarket parts will become available to keep these vehicles on the road in the future!

Last edited by jojothetattooboy; 10-29-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Technical Moderator

Well to satisfy yourself you could get uder the car and observe the geometry while your lovely assist ant turns the steering wheel.

I believe you will find that the inner joint moves in/out only when the bearing moves up/down. That's why a CV joint on the outer and a tri-pot on the inner.

There is an illustration of the tri-pot in the above referenced thread. It is a slip joint that allows for up/down. Variable rates don't have anything to do with it.

With the car on a rack and the suspension fully suspended the axle length would be at it's greatest and when it is parallel to the ground at it's shortest. It won't slip front/back unless something is very wrong.

Quick Reply: GM 15938134 SS Auto CV Half Shaft