HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

GM announces new SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
When I posted this in 2008, the on off had already begun.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/2010-chevrolet-impala-19367/
Depends on who you know. This program was never really off it has just been on hold like many other GM programs like the ZL1, Impala and XTC.

I was able to speak to Al Oppenheiser – Vehicle Chief Engineer, Global Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles several times and he said the program was stopped but never killed in the post Chapter 11 GM.

In fact many of the cars coming out now were termed canceled by many when the truth was they were just as they say put on the shelf.

While it is harder to get info from the insiders at GM there are a few that speak a little more than others and Al is one who may say more than they like at times but he is a real car guy.

While I have not gotten the details I have spoken to someone who knows about the new Camaro that is coming and I was assured many will be shocked with what we will get. Moving from the Zeta to the Alpha will be good in so many ways. Watch the ATS Cadillac and you will see what the platform can provide to a car and imagine it applied to a performance coupe.

Once Mark Ruess took the lead at GM NA he pretty much has had this car waiting to come in. It just needed to wait for the updates Holden is bringing and the new engine Chevy is bringing. Mark over saw this car and has a great love for it.

The key thing is this car will not be cheap nor will it be high volume. Think of it as a 4 door Camaro SS as they like to call it internally. The price will be in a similar range to the Camaro SS. I have not heard but I would expect 10,000- 15,000 units a year. With this beign a global car GM can afford lower levels. Now if they expand to the other models that are not for sure yet they could even move some production to the Camaro plant in Canada if needed. But right now they need the production in Oz as sales are not as high as they once were down under. The exports to China, the Middle East and US will help GM keep the plant there viable.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM

I'm glad to see that GM is bringing the Holden Commodore back to the states. I've always liked this car and if they're talking about bringing over the Ute variant maybe they will bring over the Sportwagon variant too.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by ThatChevy
I'm glad to see that GM is bringing the Holden Commodore back to the states. I've always liked this car and if they're talking about bringing over the Ute variant maybe they will bring over the Sportwagon variant too.
Note they have already stated they may bring the Wagon and Ute here. I would expect it may happen this time but these two are still not for sure. Being it is shared as a global body it would make it possible to do very easily now in low volumes.

Car Wagons are a hard sell but there is a small market for them if they do it this way.

The economy here and in OZ are the key factors to watch that could prevent this. I expect the V6 sedan to be here at some point as the G8 V6 did well. Chevy just needs to keep the price down and competitive with the Charger.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schulte
I can't decide if I like the ute look or not. This is one I would have to see in person.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Depends on who you know.
Umm okay.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Miltown SS
I can't decide if I like the ute look or not. This is one I would have to see in person.
I have seen them and they are very nice. The if you can live with the utility of a old El Camino you can live with one of these. The new coming Colorado will make a better truck but the Ute would make a better car with truck ability.

For me the car part is important as I need a car more than a truck but I still need a truck. The only down side is the buckets. It leaves this car a two passenger car at best.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 PM

The only down side is the buckets. It leaves this car a two passenger car at best.
There are options...

Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 PM

I'm working on the new Colorado. Without saying things that could get me fired: it will be a vast improvement, but it is a truck. All that that entails, applies. You want to pull trailers, it can. You want to haul more than 2 people, you can. Hot street performance? No, the Ute wins. Figure on lots of wins over current competition, but it's a truck.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM

Note they have already stated they may bring the Wagon and Ute here. I would expect it may happen this time but these two are still not for sure. Being it is shared as a global body it would make it possible to do very easily now in low volumes.

Car Wagons are a hard sell but there is a small market for them if they do it this way.

The economy here and in OZ are the key factors to watch that could prevent this. I expect the V6 sedan to be here at some point as the G8 V6 did well. Chevy just needs to keep the price down and competitive with the Charger.
I hope it may happen turns into it's going to happen. They were talking about bringing over the Ute and Wagon back when they brought over the Pontiac G8, but because of the fate of Pontiac we never saw it happen.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 AM

I was really surprised a couple weeks ago, when I pulled up behind a car that kinda looked like a 4 door Camero. On the rear end it was definately badged as a Holden. Also it was left hand drive to boot. Making a left hand turn in front of me as I followed, side view was definately a Holden. Being a car guy, even I was'nt aware that Holdens were even imported to the states. The Holden turned off only two blocks from my house. See it again, will follow it, and see where it goes, and talk to owner/ driver. "Moon"

Quick Reply: GM announces new SS