HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Going to test drive some ss's today

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Going to test drive some ss's today

Super excited, I'm going to a few dealerships and I'm going to test drive some manual and some auto SS's today.... Sad thing I want a manual yet the prices are higher with higher mileage for them then the autos... That I can find onlune
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM

I hope you find just what you want. I'm still excited about driving an SS and I have my own parked outside. Hold out for the manual and try to talk 'em down if that is what you really want. Talking to a dealer with one on the lot periodically can help. It gets the message across that they'll have it for a long time if they don't work with the few people that want it.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

Where did you search?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Deceased

Once you've decided on one or two that you really are interested in buying, make sure you dig into their past with at least a CarFax report, better yet a going over by a trusted tech.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chevymanls6454
Super excited, I'm going to a few dealerships and I'm going to test drive some manual and some auto SS's today.... Sad thing I want a manual yet the prices are higher with higher mileage for them then the autos... That I can find onlune
Guess I'm a little surprised by that, that manuals w/higher miles would cost more...auto was the option on SSes...I think getting an auto kicked the price tag up $1000. Manuals came standard.

Anyway, enjoy your test drivin'. And remember, if/when you buy one, to get the LNF Turbo Upgrade ASAP. It will feel like a new car all over again!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Thank you all.. Im located in Delaware. I am doing a search 500 miles away from my zip.. I knw that the auto was an option but I guess the dealers know people want the manual??? Who knows. When I go on cars.com thats what I find. I am looking for a low mileage (under 20 miles perferably) it just seems like there are tons of autos with low miles and not many manuals.. I guess supply and demand. Whenever I do find a manual with low miles its over a thousand plus over any autos and it usually has that red accent interior which for me is over the top.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Deceased

The deal with autos vs. manuals is a reflection of the tastes of American drivers, 93% of all new cars and trucks sold last year had automatic transmissions.

Between the distractions of in car "infotainment" systems and the lack of enthusiasm for manuals in general, we'll see stick shifts slowly fade away I'm afraid.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Whether you buy an Auto or 5 speed, make sure whatever you do, take them on some rough roads. Some people have good solid cars, mine is an absolute rattletrap, even with very low miles. Maybe it won't make a difference to you but it's best to know upfront if it does.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Well I only got a chance to take one car out and it was a 09 SS manual. IT had Brembo brakes, seven Pioneer speakers and the gauge LCD on the dash. This car they are asking 18880 and it has almost 19000 miles. First thing I really noticed was that this car is pretty small. I parked it next to my Town & Country and it looked minature. When I opened the hatch I really thought the cargo space would have been much bigger but to me atleast comging from a Ford Escape as my work vehicle it seem alittle smaller and the height from floor to ceiling was not very high to atleast stack boxes ontop eachother. That was a small concern, but I kept telling myself well 29 mpg and 260hp... This car had the red accents inside the interior and the outside was silver so that really didn't match but after being inside for a bit it didn't bother me anymore. I was happy that when I sat in the car I didn't feel oversized for the car which has happened while driving smalker vehicles. I'm 5'10'' 210 pretty muscular so my back often doesn't fit nicely in seats (the new camaro sucked) but these seats had the space so that was nice. As I stated earlier this SS had the Pinoneer system with the Sub in the back. I must say though I was not impressed with the sound system. My Town & Country blows it out of the water in sound quality and bass and its an 08. Was there a button to turn on the sub? Another thing about the interior was there is zero storage space that is close enough to get to while driving. The only thing is the glove box. Where do you guys keep all your stuff? Ok now to the drive. The sales guy let me take it out on my own HE HE HE.. SO I gave it a proper test drive. Now from reading all of your posts on power and what not I was expecting something pretty awesome.. Well the power was nice but alot less then what I expected to feel for the seat of your pants feeling. Then again i'm coming from a 450 RWHP Chevelle but even my 03 Ford Escape would surprise you when you punched it and it had less HP. The boost gauge would read 15lbs under full throttle and I will say that when boost came up you started to move pretty impressively but it was deff not a violent acceleration, more of a gradual ok hear we gooooooooo, kind of deal. Even though that was not what I had hoped for I kept telling myself dude this thing get 29 mpg.. Enough of the negative now to the positive.... The handeling was very impressive and responsive. Twitch the wheel and your car is going that way.. I loved it.. I took it on some twistys and I was very impressed. The Brembo brakes stoped the car immediatly. So thats about it.. I'd get the car but i'm trying to get the dealer to hand it over at 18K even out the door.. We will see what happens.. Im going to test drive an auto 2010 fully loaded one tomorrow. Oh yeah teh gauge LCD super cool but distracting as all hell. THe position of makes you take your eyes off the road and for someone like me with ADD all the cool settings and gauges would get me in trouble on a long boring road.. Well thats my review don't beat me up too much...
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Sorry for not putting in paragraphs.. LOL I was excited to let you guys know what I thought.

Quick Reply: Going to test drive some ss's today