HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Golf Ball + Sized Hail and HHR SS Don't Mix

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Sorry To Hear!! Hope It All Works Out For Ya !
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM

We even had PEA sized hail in San Diego !!!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM

Wow that sucks! While you're talking to insurance about the HHR you may want to say something about the roof on your house too.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM

I replaced the roof (40-yr architectural) and windows (48 of'em) less than 3 years ago. The front of the house was literally sandblasted. Paint gone, wood trim busted, and window trim banged up bad. Roof is pretty much a given that it sustained significant damage too. I'm guessing I have $20-$30k in house damage. Unfortunately with the 3 cars outside at the time, I have more than that in automotive damage The shop race car, owned by my father and driven/built by me, had just been completed for this year and been runnign for 2 weeks after a full build and repaint. We drove it to my house to free up space at the shop for a little while and it's toast. 150 miles on the clock.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

Ok, so here is the bright side..........

Sounds like your have an opportunity for a custom paint job since you are going to have to bondo everything and repaint it.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-2008, 03:05 PM

golf ball sized hail, wow. I can't image what my car would look like it if I suddenly decided to drive it out on the local driving range, but it would prolly look a lot like yours.
totaled at 3K miles. I can't even imagine that...
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
I've been told by a couple people that totaled is a possibility (with 3000 miles). Here's some pics. Hard to see, but just look at the waviness in the refelections.

It looks fixable by paintless. DO NOT GO TO WHO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TELLS YOU TO. You can go anywhere you want. It is law. There is a guy in Atlanta that I have worked hail storms with before. He is very good. His name is John Dunn. His business is Dingo's PDR. Here is his website. http://www.dingospdr.com/ Or you can bring it to NC and I'll fix it.......LOL!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Just be thankful you were wearing a hard hat when the storms went through.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 PM

jonboyb....thats sad about your HHR being damaged, but at least you and your family were not harmed by the tornado that passed thru. I imagine hail the size of golf balls would ruin just about any car's sheetmetal. When you do speak to your bodyshop, ask the bodyman what their opinion is of the HHR's sheetmetal....if they think its average or below average. Good luck with your claim.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
It looks fixable by paintless. DO NOT GO TO WHO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TELLS YOU TO. You can go anywhere you want. It is law. There is a guy in Atlanta that I have worked hail storms with before. He is very good. His name is John Dunn. His business is Dingo's PDR. Here is his website. http://www.dingospdr.com/ Or you can bring it to NC and I'll fix it.......LOL!
LOL. Would you really want to repair over 1000 dings on one car (my head would explode personally from lack of patience )? My insurance told me not to even worry about going to a paintless repair because they wouldn't undertake such an extreme case. I'm serious....those pics don't even begin to show the damage If a car literally had 1000 dings (and we've counted, it's in that range), how much do you think a reputable paintless repair shop would charge, I'm just curious. I know the last time I had 3 door dings pulled it was in the $250 range (but obviously some of the door has to be disassembled, etc. to get behind the dings). Thanks.

There's also alot of plastic that has damage too (grill, hood trim, mirrors, rocker sills)

Quick Reply: Golf Ball + Sized Hail and HHR SS Don't Mix