HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Hct Ss

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:32 AM

Hct Ss

I was on the front porch reading my mail and enjoying a cold one after a little yard work. I looked over at my HHR is the driveway and couldn't help but notice the roof line and windows. The front window opening is near the size and shape of a '35/'36 ford coupe with a 3" chop. There is also little headroom available with the sunroof and me at 6'. I'm not complaining and I like the looks of the car but I think that it should have been properly named the Heritage Chop Top, not High Top. Now the car that I traded in, a Scion XB was a High Roof for sure!

Last edited by Offy; 01-23-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Capitalization
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM

I left the top alone on my '35 sedan and I'm short....I like the high roof.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 AM

No Chop

Originally Posted by Retrorod
I left the top alone on my '35 sedan and I'm short....I like the high roof.
I agree with you. I usually prefer the stock height on hot rods, but I went with a 2" chopped windshield on my deuce roadster so the removable soft top is chopped. Sure is hard to see the traffic lights but it rarely has the top on. I enjoy feeling the breeze, no windshield on the bike and a sunroof in the HHR SS. The A/C usually dosen't get used unless it's raining or really hot.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Offy
I was on the front porch reading my mail and enjoying a cold one after a little yard work. I looked over at my HHR is the driveway and couldn't help but notice the roof line and windows. The front window opening is near the size and shape of a '35/'36 ford coupe with a 3" chop. There is also little headroom available with the sunroof and me at 6'. I'm not complaining and I like the looks of the car but I think that it should have been properly named the Heritage Chop Top, not High Top. Now the car that I traded in, a Scion XB was a High Roof for sure!
I don't have the sunroof, and I am 5'-8", but I have at least 4 inches more headroom in the HHR than my '64 StingRay has. I am told taller Corvette drivers used to have to tilt the seats back, or get the convertible.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM

it might be the rake of the seat setting for ya Offy. I too am 6' and even with a ball cap on, I still have at least 1.5" between my cap and the headliner...sunroof model too!

Maybe I weigh nmore than you and sink in to the seat farther

I also noticed in my chosen comfortable(took several days to find) position, my head is even with the B-pillar...my head rest is actually behind the deat belt, and my head is right next to the B pillar.....if I move up...my knees are at a horrible angle, and being a two-footed driver in my A/T, I have to have both legs in a good spot for comfortable ankle pivot.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 AM

I agree that the incline of the seat effects the headroom. I like a more upright seating position. When I first jumped in my SSR I had a lot of headroom but the B-pillar was blocking my vision. I now adjust the seat forward, the back as upright as it can be allowing headroom and the seat bottom down to the max. The headliner was occassionally brushing my hair on the way to work this morning.
I had a new '72 Vette T-top when I got out of the service and headroom was an issue with it too. Both cars were/are well worth a bumped head once in a while. I think that the SS may even handle better than the Corvette did.