HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Help Performance Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Help Performance Display

Hello, I own a 2010 HHR SS that was in the shop for 2 weeks with electrical problem. Multiple warnings for brake, steering, tire pressure...... and several others. Dealer could not find problem so I took the car home and found that a couple of pins for the electrical connection on the performance dislay had come loose. Had the professionally soldered but it did not help. The car wiil not run without the display and I have searched all over the country for a new performance display. Any help finding one would be greatly apprecited. The part # is 20832085.

Last edited by ray310; 05-04-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add spelling
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Check the harness connector to the ECM, it's under the Darth Vader hood in front of the fuse box. The pins get mucked up. The other thing is the MAP sensor wires, somebody with an SS will chime in about that.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 PM

Check your upper MAP sensor connector plug. Unplug it and then plug it back together while the engine ignition switch is off. The plug may have been disturbed while the other work was being done. It's easy to try and doesn't cost you anything to do. If you have had the GMTU done, suspect the splice connectors if it was not done with the newer style pigtail adapter. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM

To clarify the performance display itself is not working/dead. If your performance display is unplugged or inoperable the car WILL NOT start or run. I need a new performance display and have tried all of the outlets online and nobody can get one. Thank-you for the replies.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:52 PM

I did a google search on the part number and several dealers popped up. whether its in stock or not is another question but just at first glance it appears you can purchase it through some dealers online.

Given the rarity of the units and it primarily only being an OEM piece your dealer may be the best viable option despite the costs.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks. I ordered the part online from 10+ dealers and major part suppliers and ALL of them emailed back that the part is unavailable. The dealer who had my car for two weeks and could not diagnose the problem said the part is unavailable. I have a friend trying to locate a display from a wrecking yard and he has had no luck. I was hoping someone from the forum had a source. My HHR has been sitting for a month DOA. I am desperate for a solution.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard the RPD is a hard part to find. I have also wondered what I would do if mine crapped out and the car would not run.

I sure you have, but I would make sure that it is beyond some type of repair. I don't know the technical aspect of the RPD itself, but it's basically just a fancy set of gauges that I believe gets it's data through the OBD system.

Since the RPD acts as an apparent "link" in the OBD system, I guess that "link" has to complete the electrical system circuitry or the car will not run.

Keep us updated. Those of us with SS's w/ RPD's would like to know the outcome of this.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-04-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 PM

Thanks firemangeorge. I had the pins that separated from the circuit board soldered back on by a professional but it did not work,,,,,,It is so frustrating to have a 2010 car with 30000 miles sitting and collecting dust. Chevrolet has many problems, but parts should be available for cars this young.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Wow that really stinks. I hope mine lasts the long haul as well. I would honestly open a case with Chevy directly about this. If this is such a core piece that the vehicle needs to function then GM needs to continue making the part available at least for a decent life span of the years it was used in.

Keep us updated for sure
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM

There are many companies out there that specialize in repairing GM dashboard clusters from the 2000's on up that don't work, or act up. I would check with some of those companies & see if they have any experience with repairing the performance display.

Do a google search for Chevy truck dash repair, or something similar to that, you'll find lots of companies. Good luck, I hope you get something worked out!

Quick Reply: Help Performance Display