HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Question HHR SS mods

Okay guys I am a proud owner of a 2009 HHR SS I absolutely love it its an auto. I purchased it with 249000 miles which is a lot yeah but i had it checked out and its like new I paid 1800 for it. Now the reason for creating this thread is im part of the local car club and i have 5 months to mod my car to beat a built mach 1 mustang 2003 i believe. This car is my toy and I'm not really into tearing it up so in order to create the power I require (350) whp minimum would you guys just recommend buying another one thats a manual to hold it. I'm not going to sell it because i quite like the auto but I can purchase another manual one. I would also extremely appreciate the list of mods needed to make that required whp and one last thing there a website called rpm motor sports, they have an e47 tune that they claim will give it and additional 95 whp. now is that bs or is the e47 tune really that effective. theres a ton of experienced and brilliant people on this page any and all knowledge and advice will be extremely appreciated!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forums.

Before you start "modding" it, you might want to figure out the downside of "modding" an engine that already has 249,000 miles on it. Taking that engine as it sits, and pushing out an additional 100 hp will likely result in an expensive broken brick. Another engine/HHR with a whole lot less mileage might be a way cheaper and safer way to go.

Some of the members here have some great experience with the E tunes - why not do some reading on their status - just do a search for e47 using the search tool at the top right corner of the page here.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, X2
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

X3. Adding a bunch of HP to a tired engine, might turn it into a hand grenade.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Crate engines are surprisingly priced, a lot cheaper than a whole car.

As I understand; it's the engine detuned for the auto, not the auto that causes the lower whp.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:59 AM

Has the timing chain, guides and tensioner been replaced?
How much are you boosting now?
Does it have an LSD?
To get to where you want to go isn't that difficult, but I would be reluctant to doing these mods with an LNF with that many miles on it without refreshing it up.

Just my opinion, and opinions are cheap.

Do some research, look for posts from 2005HHRauto he has a lot of experience with the LNF Auto's. He has posted what does and doesn't work, and, what's the best bang for the buck. Also, he has posted his E47 tunes at HPTuners forum with links provided here. To use his tune you will need to buy HPTuners but you will be able to use on a number of other cars.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:07 PM

I agree with the others, since you don't know the condition of the motor with such high mileage either leave it alone, rebuild it/replace it or be prepared to do that after it grenades. :)

That Mach one specs stock are equal to the Auto SS with a Stage one kit. A better tune like HP should get you where you need to be even on pump gas. But what mods does the Mach have? Just basic bolt ons or supercharger, nitrous??
Old 03-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by celblazer
I agree with the others, since you don't know the condition of the motor with such high mileage either leave it alone, rebuild it/replace it or be prepared to do that after it grenades. :)

That Mach one specs stock are equal to the Auto SS with a Stage one kit. A better tune like HP should get you where you need to be even on pump gas. But what mods does the Mach have? Just basic bolt ons or supercharger, nitrous??
Since OP basically stole the thing ($1800!) he can spend a bit to accomplish what he wants.
He could always just PLAN on blowing it up and get a cheap NO3 setup and hope he survives the race!

Michael - On the downside, the last of the SN95 Mustangs had the modular 4.6 that is easy and cheap to mod and weighs very little.
You can get a power to weight ratio that will rock pretty easily.
Depending on what he has done, you may be wasting your time. Just don't bet heavy.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up It's bone stock

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Has the timing chain, guides and tensioner been replaced?
How much are you boosting now?
Does it have an LSD?
To get to where you want to go isn't that difficult, but I would be reluctant to doing these mods with an LNF with that many miles on it without refreshing it up.

Just my opinion, and opinions are cheap.

Do some research, look for posts from 2005HHRauto he has a lot of experience with the LNF Auto's. He has posted what does and doesn't work, and, what's the best bang for the buck. Also, he has posted his E47 tunes at HPTuners forum with links provided here. To use his tune you will need to buy HPTuners but you will be able to use on a number of other cars.
Its pretty well bone stock except I've had the front changed to 4/11 gearing besides that nothing. I believe it's boosting around 14-15 which is normal from what I have read. No I haven't had that stuff replaced but I could put it in the shop and have it done. My budy owns the chevy garage here, and no I think a lot of your guys opinions you guys have superior knowledge then me in this department :)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Talking Its my toy basically

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Since OP basically stole the thing ($1800!) he can spend a bit to accomplish what he wants.
He could always just PLAN on blowing it up and get a cheap NO3 setup and hope he survives the race!

Michael - On the downside, the last of the SN95 Mustangs had the modular 4.6 that is easy and cheap to mod and weighs very little.
You can get a power to weight ratio that will rock pretty easily.
Depending on what he has done, you may be wasting your time. Just don't bet heavy.
I already wrote this but I don't think it posted. Yeah it was interesting how I bought it I was sitting at my bank and this guy needed money bad. He walks up to me and says would you pay 1800 for my car I said I'll take a look. Well I have always liked hhrs my dad had one in 2006. I just liked the ss badging and the 2 tone seats as well as the rpd. I'm 22 and a human resources director so money is no issue I walked in the bank and paid him cash he gave me the title and I had my had my dad drive my car and I drove it to the chevy garage ( my buddy owns it ) and I had him run it over check compression, change the gearing and a tune up plus a motor mount was bad so I had it all done for 500 bucks including parts so I have 2300 in it. If the block blows I'll put a new engine in it. The interior is perfect not a rip and has all records and floor mats. the outside is good to. He's just a tad faster but he will be adding a couple bolt ons its literally eating at me :)

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: HHR SS mods