HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Talking The engine is in good shape

Originally Posted by celblazer
I agree with the others, since you don't know the condition of the motor with such high mileage either leave it alone, rebuild it/replace it or be prepared to do that after it grenades. :)

That Mach one specs stock are equal to the Auto SS with a Stage one kit. A better tune like HP should get you where you need to be even on pump gas. But what mods does the Mach have? Just basic bolt ons or supercharger, nitrous??

The engine is in good shape because the compression read outs are right on par with factory specs. I think i'm going to do what another guy on here said and have the timing chain redone and some other stuff but it's okay if I blow the block i'll just buy another block from zzp.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Has the timing chain, guides and tensioner been replaced?
How much are you boosting now?
Does it have an LSD?
To get to where you want to go isn't that difficult, but I would be reluctant to doing these mods with an LNF with that many miles on it without refreshing it up.

Just my opinion, and opinions are cheap.

Do some research, look for posts from 2005HHRauto he has a lot of experience with the LNF Auto's. He has posted what does and doesn't work, and, what's the best bang for the buck. Also, he has posted his E47 tunes at HPTuners forum with links provided here. To use his tune you will need to buy HPTuners but you will be able to use on a number of other cars.
Listen to both these people, what DrLoch and 2005HHR say.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by michael sovern
I had him run it over check compression, change the gearing and a tune up plus a motor mount
Why did you have a gear change made? You have nothing done to warrant it yet. Your stock/stock adding a downloadable tune gives you 24/25 psi boost vs stock 14/15. Fuel and timing maps are changed to get you these numbers.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:06 AM

I had 4/11 gearing put in it because it was shifting hard anyways

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Why did you have a gear change made? You have nothing done to warrant it yet. Your stock/stock adding a downloadable tune gives you 24/25 psi boost vs stock 14/15. Fuel and timing maps are changed to get you these numbers.
The transmisson was in pretty rough shape
Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by michael sovern
I already wrote this but I don't think it posted. Yeah it was interesting how I bought it I was sitting at my bank and this guy needed money bad. He walks up to me and says would you pay 1800 for my car I said I'll take a look. Well I have always liked hhrs my dad had one in 2006. I just liked the ss badging and the 2 tone seats as well as the rpd. I'm 22 and a human resources director so money is no issue I walked in the bank and paid him cash he gave me the title and I had my had my dad drive my car and I drove it to the chevy garage ( my buddy owns it ) and I had him run it over check compression, change the gearing and a tune up plus a motor mount was bad so I had it all done for 500 bucks including parts so I have 2300 in it. If the block blows I'll put a new engine in it. The interior is perfect not a rip and has all records and floor mats. the outside is good to. He's just a tad faster but he will be adding a couple bolt ons its literally eating at me :)
You did post that already, but it went into automatic, random, moderation. I try to catch these things quickly, but I've been putting a lot of hours in at the plant lately, where I have only occasional internet access. I've deleted the other, this post is a little better

Man, you hear of these things, people in the right place at the right time, getting a great deal. Nice score!!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 AM

First hing you will want to do is the stage kit upgrade. https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/gm-...1-sensors.html

Be forewarned you must get it tuned at the same time to make use of tha new sensors. If you've found 2005HHR's tune that will be a huge step in the right direction. At that point you will find out how good everything really is.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 PM

What about exhaust

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Since OP basically stole the thing ($1800!) he can spend a bit to accomplish what he wants.
He could always just PLAN on blowing it up and get a cheap NO3 setup and hope he survives the race!

Michael - On the downside, the last of the SN95 Mustangs had the modular 4.6 that is easy and cheap to mod and weighs very little.
You can get a power to weight ratio that will rock pretty easily.
Depending on what he has done, you may be wasting your time. Just don't bet heavy.
W

I was looking through eBay and I happened to see a cobalt SS catback exhaust for half of the hhr SS exhaust, has it been done? it should be similar on the delta platform.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:07 AM

If you have looked at 2005hhr's testing, which he has done a lot, the biggest bang for the buck is coring the 2nd cat. I have found the same the same thing. It's one thing to throw money at something, quite another to make cost effective.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...k-57150/page2/

Get the sensors and a tune, do the 2nd cat coring, change the pipe coming off the turbo over the top to the inlet of the intercooler, change the pipe from the air box to the K&N K&N Performance Air Intake Kit AIRCHARGER CHEVROLET HHR SS 2.0L LNF Ecotec 08-10 . https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l...-hhr-ss-43999/

I didn't change the filter, I'm not a big fan of oiled filters.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:57 AM

If you are considering HPTuners, which I would considering you need to update sensors to get the extra boost. Here is a good read, https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...357-LNF-Guides
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 PM

Hmm...
I say ‘bull’ on this ‘story’ of a HHR SS with a quarter of a million miles on it, bought on the spot, at a bank, with a clear title in hand, for $1,800...

Hmm....
What is 4/11 gearing....
To change the ‘gearing’, or what can be called the final ratio in the 4T45E automatic the we have, the transmission must be removed & torn down to get to the chain driven gears.
Then one must determine which of the 2 gears, needs to be swapped out, & in most cases both gears need to be changed to get the final ratio that you desire.
Also 1 of 2 different carriers must be matched to the changed gear set.
With this transmission being obsolete, the gears might not be available anymore.
100% of the time, the only way is to just swap out the transmission with one that has the ‘gearing’ that you want.
If this transmission was taken out, & taken apart for a ‘gear-change’, 100% of the time the transmission will be rebuilt also.
Also I’m not aware of a 4/11 swap...
I do know that it’s possible to do a 3.91 gear change with our 4T45E...
What say you...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4T40_transmission

Isn't swapping chains and sprockets the same as changing the final drive?

not exactly, but it has pretty much the same effect. The output sprocket is on the output shaft coming from the torque converter. The drive chain goes between it and the input sprocket which drive the rest of the gears. The final drive gear is part of the differential which is on the end after the other gears. Changing the final drive gear only changes the differential rotation speed relative to the rest of the trans. Changing the drive sprockets and chain also changes the speed of all the other gears relative to the torque converter and engine. At least, thats what I pick up from the break downs in the manual. :)

No factory ‘LSD’ available for our 4T45E...
Back in the day, there were a few aftermarket companys that made them, & sometimes a used one pops up for sell...

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 03-24-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: HHR SS mods