HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

How to id Limited Slip with a bare transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:27 PM

How to id Limited Slip with a bare transaxle

If you don't have the donor car with RPO codes, how can you tell if a bare transaxle has limited slip? Does the old "if both axles turn in the same direction" rule apply?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Yes the old rule still applies. Also I believe the limited slip was only available in a manual trans.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Now that I have been thinking about it I have a question for the ss guys.

Can you get LSD with traction control? It seem to me that one would fight the other.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:24 AM

LSD and traction control work together, look at all the rear wheel drive trucks that have both. Brake controller programming is probably different though.

Also, both wheels do not necessarily turn the same direction when spun and tires off the ground, this is not a positraction differential like the old cars had. It is a limited slip which works differently. I checked on my LSD equipped SS, wheels go opposite.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:25 AM

I'll second both of those. The wheels spin in opposite directions, and Traction Control is electronics. It's designed to work with the LSD - or not, if you don't have it. The difference is just a calibration. It's similar to ABS, where the various brake setups get different calibrations, but the module looks the same.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Just another odd ball question: would PosiTraction even be possible on front wheel drive?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 AM

A true positraction with the axles locked until forced unlocked like the old muscle cars had would be dangerous because with both tires spinning, such as in rain, you would have no steering control. Spinning tires do not steer well, plus you would have noise from the clutches transmitted up the steering column as well as extra wear and tear up front. An example would the the Hurst Olds Hairy Oldsmobile from the sixties that had front and rear engines with posi in both ends, Jumped the guardrails several times and was almost uncontrollable.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
A true positraction with the axles locked until forced unlocked like the old muscle cars had would be dangerous because with both tires spinning, such as in rain, you would have no steering control. Spinning tires do not steer well, plus you would have noise from the clutches transmitted up the steering column as well as extra wear and tear up front. An example would the the Hurst Olds Hairy Oldsmobile from the sixties that had front and rear engines with posi in both ends, Jumped the guardrails several times and was almost uncontrollable.
Yeah, but it made for a great sight to see!!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
A true positraction with the axles locked until forced unlocked like the old muscle cars had would be dangerous because with both tires spinning, such as in rain, you would have no steering control.
I can tell you not having LSD with the tune I have in mine is more than scary. You don't really drive it when you hammer it in 2nd above 2500 RPM, you try to keep it pointed in a direction before the clutch started slipping it was just as bad in 3rd and 4th. I won't let anyone else drive the car other than me. The CV joints on the left half shaft aren't real happy either. When I replace the clutch I'm going to install a quaife differential. That being said, I would rather have it spin the tires than darting off on it's own.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM

When I see posts the nature the one above (from DrLoch), I really wish we had a "like" button...

Quick Reply: How to id Limited Slip with a bare transaxle