HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

How prevalent are turbo problems with the HHR SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM

How prevalent are turbo problems with the HHR SS?

I was reading here that one forum member had his turbo go out on him twice.
How many other members have had turbo problems? How many miles and was it due to racing or just everyday driving? thanks,
-Tim
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 PM

Turbos are gonna go out....it comes with owning a turbo car. Frequent oil changes with the correct oil and correct operation of the bypass valve and wastegate will extend their longevity. I had mine replaced at 90k
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM

When it went out, was the car still drivable?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 PM

I would think you would experience some codes if the "turbo" went out. Just change the oil regularly and if you run it hard, before you shut it down, let it idle for a bit so the engine continues to oil the turbo's bearings. This will save your turbo from premature failure. I used to do this everytime I drove the SS. Only takes a couple of seconds and could help prolong the life of the turbo. I'm not sure if anyone here has installed a turbo timer yet on their SS.

Dave
Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 AM

For the most a turbo failure is not common anymore. Things have improved with better cooling with water and bearings. More issues are seen with sensors and waste gate issues.

The days of cooked bearings while they still could happen are pretty much not a common thing anymore. In the days of the old T type Buicks they all would go around 35,000 miles. Today these engines have the proper cooling that you no longer need to do the old tricks of letting it run before you shut it off.

Also that is why they come with Mobil One as it will not carbon up like normal oil.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 AM

no codes i knew something was going wrong but every time i take it to the dealer without a code they send me home with the ol "no code no fix" so i let it do whatever it was gonna do and one morning i fired it up and was leaving the house and the turbo was not spinning....bearings seized up. i drove it to the dealer so yes it will drive but its very slow. a low compression engine with no boost equals about negative 100 horsepower lol
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
For the most a turbo failure is not common anymore. Things have improved with better cooling with water and bearings. More issues are seen with sensors and waste gate issues.

The days of cooked bearings while they still could happen are pretty much not a common thing anymore. In the days of the old T type Buicks they all would go around 35,000 miles. Today these engines have the proper cooling that you no longer need to do the old tricks of letting it run before you shut it off.

Also that is why they come with Mobil One as it will not carbon up like normal oil.
my problem was i was getting surge cause the bypass valve wasn't working correctly....but was setting no codes. i told the dealer that i would be back when the turbo goes out and sho nuff...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM

The more options on a car, the more potential for some failure. Especially with performance options which if you use them alot and why would someone get some performance option unless you were out to the flog the car using that option.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 PM

I've read more turbo problems with the Stage 1 kit installed. But many of those problems could have been inexperienced dealers installing the equipment.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM

2 wastegates the plastic cracked, 1 shorted
1 turbo blew but this was due to kink in oil line to turbo, car was driveable to get to shop, it just had no power.

Like above most people with turbo issues it is the crimping not soldering of the wires with the stage 1.

Quick Reply: How prevalent are turbo problems with the HHR SS?