HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HP reduction for the automatic trans... unprecedented?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM

I think it`s for two reasons other than the trans,as usually the first gear in a trans is the strongest,you get a heavy load going with first right? The reasons for the power reduction are 1) to reduce the effect of torque steer to keep people out of trouble when they mash the gas and 2) to keep from being sued by people who get themselves into trouble when they mash the gas.

I have read of other cars,mostly exotics,they have some sort of horsepower reduction at lower speeds and gears to get the car moving before it all kicks in.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

If that's the case, why isn't it reduced in the manual trans. also.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
They should follow the good old saying: "If you're going to do something, do it right."

Even if this is a base, affordable car once you start to deal with SS versions it shouldn't be addressed as an affordable vehicle.

I'd pay a few extra bucks if GM spent a few extra bucks developing a more stout tranny for the SS version. Why be cheap and put in what's laying around and have that be the weak link of the vehicle?
RIGHT ON!
Couldn't have said it better. Especially after what Lutz said about the HHR SS "goes like hell!" Well the stick will go like hell. The auto version? Well I guess you could say it goes like heck.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
...The reasons for the power reduction are 1) to reduce the effect of torque steer to keep people out of trouble when they mash the gas and 2) to keep from being sued by people who get themselves into trouble when they mash the gas.

I have read of other cars,mostly exotics,they have some sort of horsepower reduction at lower speeds and gears to get the car moving before it all kicks in...
maybe. we're only talking 260 HP here though.
I think they know they're going to have to warranty this transmission for 5 years/100K miles and it prolly can't take the full monty over time.

nah gunna do it, wouldn't be prudent...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by GuitHHR
I was just reading about the new Caliber SRT4 and they do the same thing. Limit the power in 1st and 2nd gear and thats with a manual tranny.
The Caliber is using a CVT transmission...IMHO it isn't an automatic, just a gear reducer with a reverse.

Clare
Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM

HHR SS Automatic

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
They should follow the good old saying: "If you're going to do something, do it right."

Even if this is a base, affordable car once you start to deal with SS versions it shouldn't be addressed as an affordable vehicle.

I'd pay a few extra bucks if GM spent a few extra bucks developing a more stout tranny for the SS version. Why be cheap and put in what's laying around and have that be the weak link of the vehicle?
Currently "what's available" and being used with the 2.0L Turbo is the 5L40 (a rear drive) made in Strasbourg, France and used in the Cadillac SRX, the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice GXP.
Currently the 4T45E 8THJ is being developed here in Windsor. The CNC equipment here is tops in the automotive industry.

Clare
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
If that's the case, why isn't it reduced in the manual trans. also.
Disclaimer:: This is just my opinion.

Anyone that chooses a higher performance car and wants an Auto trans in said auto has no intetions of trying to get the full potential out of the car. And If you're driving your auto trans equipped 260 horse HHR around and smoke the tires at every light or lose traction when passing that is going to frustrate you (since most people would end up plowing into another automobile). Look at average age of buyers for the HHR and the way people are modifying them. Look at the responses to the performance threads. Most people in the age group of HHR owners want a "little more" performance without sacrifice to sound or drivability. If you don't know how to drive a manual trans then I personally don't feel that a performance automobile is the right choice for you.

As for people purchasing a performance car with a manual trans? Granted not many people that drive manual trans cars have much skill or finesse to get the most out of their car, they want a more performance oriented one. How many Corvettes are sold with manual trans VS auto? Now, how many Z06s are sold with an auto trans?

Maybe its trying to save the trans to reduce the amount of warranty claims on over agressive SS owners? Maybe its trying to save the lives of heavy footed people in the 40+ segement that really have no clue how to save a FWD car from loss of traction? Maybe even still its an attempt to get better launching and performance from an auto trans car that you can't normally get from a slushbox allowing the application of a floored gas pedal much sooner than usual? Maybe it has to do with the traction control system's ability to reduce power effectively if the tires spin?

Who knows? Who really cares? With a turbo car you can gain that measly 20-30 horses back with a decent exhaust and a slight increase in boost. Odds are most will be more than happy with what they get out of the HHR SS when it hits floors auto or not.

Again... this is JUST MY OPINION. () Thanks.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
Disclaimer:: ...Anyone that chooses a higher performance car and wants an Auto trans in said auto has no intetions of trying to get the full potential out of the car...
Try telling that to all the guys who have installed high-stall torque converters in their automatics and take their muscle cars to the track every weekend. The argument for automatic for them is that they get more consistent ET's than a manual.

Right now I have 1998 Z28 with an M6 tranny that I've driven since new. Sometimes ppl get to an age (and drive in city traffic) where they get a little tired of shifting. That's where I am. I just want the car to have as much power as possible and was disappointed to hear that the automatic version of the HHR SS was going to have 25HP less than the stick.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
I think it`s for two reasons other than the trans,as usually the first gear in a trans is the strongest,you get a heavy load going with first right? The reasons for the power reduction are 1) to reduce the effect of torque steer to keep people out of trouble when they mash the gas and 2) to keep from being sued by people who get themselves into trouble when they mash the gas.

I have read of other cars,mostly exotics,they have some sort of horsepower reduction at lower speeds and gears to get the car moving before it all kicks in.
Speaking of mashing the gas on the take-off....the 4T45E models (1998) 8WCR to (2002) 2WCR (Malibu Classics) would up-shift to 2nd gear when right side wheel spin was detected on take-off with the 3.4L V6's. A "basic" traction control. All done with the ABS and VCM module I/O's, not hardware in the tranny.
The 4T45E is also used on the 3.5L V6 Auras, G 6's & Malibus
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cc732
The Caliber is using a CVT transmission...IMHO it isn't an automatic, just a gear reducer with a reverse.

Clare
Nope the srt4 version is using a six speed manual.http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/08/a...caliber-srt-4/ 3rd paragraph.

Quick Reply: HP reduction for the automatic trans... unprecedented?