HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Inconsistent Boost Levels......

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Make sure your intake hoses are tight. I heard that if they get to loose you can lose boost, maybe temp changes happening?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
T you shouldn't be getting this much inconsistency! Something is wrong. If you can get under the car take a look at the lower sensor in the charge tube and see if it's flat. If it has an angle to it, the tech did not modify the sensor properly. When it is sealed all is well, but it may leak under certain conditions, like when warm. This will give inconsistent boost.
Where did you get your install done? Not sure if I want to take it back to that same dealer. Same time I had the kit put in I had some other warranty work done. Fix the rear wiper it only worked half the time(still f---ed up), the hinges on the rear hatch would make a terrible creak when opening it(yep you guessed it still f---ed up). So you can see I'm not too happy with these guys right now, I don't care if i have to pay for the install again I just want it fixed. Anyone know where a good place to buy a dry filter for the SS?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Anyways, now back after the brake fix, and I assume a PCM reflash. I asked them also to look at the issue, but they did a road test and didn't seem anything out of place. Well, considering the dealer's likely sold 3 SS's all year, a subtle change wouldn't be picked up by a tech, they have no base for what it used to be like. On my first first couple drives, no issue...guage still at the level that was noticeably lower then I remember when coasting and idiling. I think that "lower then is used to be" rating means that when I hit the gas, it contributes to the more noticable factor, that being that the engine seems to be revving a bit too high , along with lower boost levels when putting the gas down, then it used to. I took note of the RPM...at 60 mph, its running at 2K RPM...10 seconds of coasting, getting down to 45-50MPH, its still really close to 2K RPM.

That seems strange...again, I am going by this all on feel, I never really paid attention before...it just seems that the vaccuum pressure is greater then it used to be before the late December reflash to try and fix the the brake thing, and more noticeable, is that I think the engine is running harder under accleration, at the expense of using turbo "power".

It not a big deal, and not going to worry about it until the weather gets a bit nicer, and I do want to enjoy the car rather than nitpick over a minor thing.

I am sure there will be a proper reflash if I get the Stage get done later in the spring...if not, the next time it goes in for an oil change, I will have them possibly look into it a little more indepth, technically, to see if the turbo is being utilized, or if the engine is working too hard.

I'l also look into the wastegate mod I've seen on this forum...not so much as a mod, just to see if the reported issue of issues with springs in the wastegate is afflicitng me too, which is causing lower boost in others.