HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Intakes thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Chevy SS......

Just wondering. You say, ".....filter out of the engine bay....". What are you thinking? On top of the hood....in front of the radiator.......replacing one of the fog lights???

Again, just wondering what your thinking/requirement is!! Cause EVERYTHING commercially made is under hood/engine bay.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Hey Chevy SS......

Just wondering. You say, ".....filter out of the engine bay....". What are you thinking? On top of the hood....in front of the radiator.......replacing one of the fog lights???

Again, just wondering what your thinking/requirement is!! Cause EVERYTHING commercially made is under hood/engine bay.
What am I thinking? I am thinking a cold air intake. Not rocket science here.

CAI on an STi sits right behind the brake cooling duct. CAI for a GTI sits behind and below the headlight. Same with a Lancer, it's not that hard and true CAI are like that.

Perhaps out of the engine bay was the wrong phrase to use on this forum, but frankly I don't want a product that practically touches the engine. That is not to much to ask.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 PM

CAI for my Vibe sat right behind the fog light just above the ground, only problem with that, especially for those who lower their ride, is if you hit a water puddle too high you will hydro-lock!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by damronjr
CAI for my Vibe sat right behind the fog light just above the ground, only problem with that, especially for those who lower their ride, is if you hit a water puddle too high you will hydro-lock!
Been running CAI's like that for years on several cars, in Washington State, not one problem yet.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM

Question

I may try a custom hood scoop to get true cold air induction, my only concern would be rain (and destroying a hood). Does cowl induction suck rain like a scoop would ?

maybe some type of y pipe that could be flipped with a butterfly nut to get the induction back to stock when it's raining. Any input or coments would be great.
just thinking i'd like the coolest air available.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for your hostile dissertation

I asked a simple question for an explanation. No need to get defensive.

My reasoning was to determine if you and I had parallel thoughts and was searching for new FRESH IDEAS.

Sorry I bothered you.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 PM

what if there was a plate attached to the filter like the GMPP filters do, so it would reflect the heat away from the filter????????????
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ScreaminBlkSS
I may try a custom hood scoop to get true cold air induction, my only concern would be rain (and destroying a hood). Does cowl induction suck rain like a scoop would ?

maybe some type of y pipe that could be flipped with a butterfly nut to get the induction back to stock when it's raining. Any input or coments would be great.
Usually functional ram air hoods have a slot prior to the filter to allow the rain/dirt/whatever to exit the channel before entering the filter. Seems to me that would create a suction and keep things from going out that slot as well as a place to suck in hot engine air, but I don't know the math behind it all.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 PM

I thought the stock location was in the fender well... on the cobalt the stock airbox is right behind the left fog light and there is plastic underneath so the filter isn't exposed to the road or water.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by ScreaminBlkSS

The STi has like a 3 inch scoop, never been a problem, looks at the Evo's, they have an opening in the top of the hood covered in mesh.

Quick Reply: Intakes thoughts