HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 AM

Intercooler

Are the cobalt SS and HHR SS intercoolers the same? Ive searched ModernPerformance and ZZP and they dont have a intercooler for the HHR. I was looking at the HAHN or ZZP intercooler aswell. Will I need a tune?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 AM

Yep, they are the same & you shouldn't need a tune for a bigger intercooler. Do you plan on "upping" boost? Really no need to upgrade the intercooler if your not going to up the boost.

Most of us on here switch out the intercoolers because the end tanks can explode with an increase of boost PSI. You won't gain any h.p. by installing a bigger intercooler...but it does make the air cooler for longer...no more heat soak
Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by KissMy08SS
Yep, they are the same & you shouldn't need a tune for a bigger intercooler. Do you plan on "upping" boost? Really no need to upgrade the intercooler if your not going to up the boost.

Most of us on here switch out the intercoolers because the end tanks can explode with an increase of boost PSI. You won't gain any h.p. by installing a bigger intercooler...but it does make the air cooler for longer...no more heat soak
As of right now I dont plan on getting tuned till summer, My plans are ZZP catless DP, Dejon SRI, ZZP IC, ZZP UICP, and maybe there exhaust but ive had a few people tell me that the stock exhaust is already a good set up.

I plan to put the IC on and the DP but wanna make sure ill be ok without a tune for now. Any companies I should stay away from? i see HAHN dosnt have many good reviews.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

My mileage improve with CS IC and Dejon hot side.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by KissMy08SS

you will gain some hp. you are getting a bigger volume of cooler air in. when i installed my hahn,i noticed a difference. in jan 09 when i had installed it,it was a cold night and the car picked up. that was when i had the bsr tune at 20psi. my stock end tanks stayed together fine. i went bigger because the heat in texas is brutal and it seemed that was a good mod to do for the money.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Ha Ha really, it gets hot in Texas ???
Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 08SSREDHHR
As of right now I dont plan on getting tuned till summer, My plans are ZZP catless DP, Dejon SRI, ZZP IC, ZZP UICP, and maybe there exhaust but ive had a few people tell me that the stock exhaust is already a good set up.

I plan to put the IC on and the DP but wanna make sure ill be ok without a tune for now. Any companies I should stay away from? i see HAHN dosnt have many good reviews.
my hahn is very good. no leaks,no broken welds, NOTHING!! the only complaint i see people making is the cost. i think they are cheaper now. when i got mine they were close to a $1000!!! i think they are around $600 now.

as you can see,i have everything hahn. i'm not selling ,nor is he sponsering me. i just like his products. now,you are going about your mod list the right way. most of your stuff is zzp. i would stick with zzp for everything. if something goes wrong,then you can pin point it was this company that made your car do this or that or some other company might accuse other parts from others made your car fail. that was why i went with hahn everything and in 08 they were one of the first companies out with bolt on parts for us. if you can afford it,just get the full exhaust. then when or if you choose to go bigger turbo,you are ready. people on this forum may flame me for this,but as far as i know, the list of a 400hp hhr ss is slim to none (it might be 2-5). so i say get all you can because big numbers on a stock turbo is out of the question. if you want big numbers,dig deep in your pockets lol. are you auto or 5 speed?? if you are 5 speed and plan on going over 300hp,i advise a new clutch. that is actually the best mod i done to my car. without it,i wouldn't have been able to get to where i am now(which is nothing to brag about). the stock clutch just won't take the boost. if you are auto,then i HIGHLY suggest you get every last bit of hp you can get. autos are limited somewhat. heck they are tuned down a bit from the factory. good luck with the build. i think you are on the right track

out of fast,reliable,and cheap,you can only have 2 out of the three:
fast and reliable=expensive
fast and cheap=unreliable(or undesired effects)
reliable and cheap= won't be that fast
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Ha Ha really, it gets hot in Texas ???
yep!! especially for people who don't look to see where people are from. i live near the coast and the humidity is out of control in the summer. 100 degrees can feel like 110 and that's @ 10 am
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Ok thanks guys, Im still considering HAHN, ZZP is 45 minutes away from me though. lol
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Before you give Hahn a dime review their history, and activity in this scene now. Actually dig into Bill Hahn Jr. and some of the attacks and defenses he's used online.

Hahn was one of the first to produce parts for the LNF, but this was 4 years ago and nothing new has became nor have changes been made to existing. Point is there are better & improved products out there now.

The Hahn unit has a history of broken welds, I have seen documentation, and I've seen the same of their intake manifolds as well from the j-body platform ranging into the delta platform.

ZZP warranties their intercooler from bottoming out even, which I find absolutely insane with how low mine is, but it's a solid piece with no documented failures. I do not want to come across on this site as a "fanboy", I love finding flaws in parts but right now in terms of LNF parts it seems ZZP is leading and I'd say the new TurboXS parts are a nice addition as well. In which they too also offer an intercooler along with charge pipes.

Quick Reply: Intercooler