HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Just a bad week for me and HHR's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Angry Just a bad week for me and HHR's...

I purchased my 09 SS last week and was enjoying it untill friday morning. I hopped in the car and headed home from work when I noticed on the freeway that I had no boost at all, however no CEL was thrown. I also noticed that when I downshifted the engine didn't slow itself down at all like usual. I drove it straight to the dealer and later that day got it back.

The invoice reads - "C/S vehicle is not getting any "boost" - Ck and Adv. Found Waste gate rod off of Turbo. Installed new nut. Follow Doc ID 2246965 for adjustment. After Adjustment cleared codes. Test Drove vehicle built 10 PSI boost. Now Operating as designed."

I drove it out of the dealer and quickly found that I could only build 2 PSI at random times. Other times I couldn't even get out of vacuum. I took it right back to the dealer and am still waiting to hear what the true issue is.

600 miles on the car and it has already been at the dealer twice for service.

And to top it all off...the loaner HHR they gave me has 9% oil life left, and has a broken lock. I spent 10 minutes standing out in the rain with my wife and daughter trying to unlock the door today with absolutly no luck. I walked away from the car and came back a few seconds later to find it magicly unlocked without touching it. And why is there only one door lock on the HHR's that don't come with keyless entry?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM

Sounds like you have a leak in the piping. Lots of posts here about loose clamps.

Also sounds like you have a bad dealer.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel

Also sounds like you have a bad dealer.
That's for sure.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 AM

The dealer is great for sales, but the service department has been slipping over the years. This is the 4th car I have bought from them, and the first time I have really had any issue with them. In fact I used another dealer to install my stage 2 kit on my cobalt because I didn't trust them to do it right. It does amaze me that they had no clue of other TC owners having boost issues prior to me bringing up several common problems that I found on this and the cobalt forum. If they can't seem to correct the issue this time, it will be the last time I ever use their service department.

And for the loaner car, I am afraid to lock the damn thing anymore. And if the engine seizes up, well that ain't my problem.... I would probably get a good laugh out of it since I told them about it the first time I returned it to them on Friday.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM

I wonder if that dealership is one of the many to be closed by the restructuring of GM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by pieeater
And why is there only one door lock on the HHR's that don't come with keyless entry?

Most all (if not all) cars today only have the key lock on the drivers door. Been that way for many years. Wife's 03 is the same way.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM

I just called up the service department and was told that the waste gate rod nut had once again come off. They said they put loctite on it and put it back on again. They are gonna do a second test drive and get back to me later in the day.

What would be causing this nut to keep falling off, other then normal vibration? Does anyone know if there is enough room on the rod to double nut it so it can't back itself off?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

I don't know anything about the HHR SS turbo but I have 3 other turbo'd cars and have dealt with turbos for years and have never heard of something like this.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Most all (if not all) cars today only have the key lock on the drivers door. Been that way for many years. Wife's 03 is the same way.
Yep. Was surprised to see that on my mom's 06 Impala when she bought that new, and every car since has been the same way. I especially didn't like how there was no key for the trunk either. But I guess you get used to it. But why does the alarm have to go off on the HHR when you use the key? That's just bizarre!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Car is still in the shop. Last update I got was last night saying that they wanted to put more miles on it to insure the rod doesn't come off again. I have heard nothing today, which doesn't make me feel very confident that the problem has been fixed.

My car has now been in the shop just as many days as it has been parked in my diveway since I bought it.

Quick Reply: Just a bad week for me and HHR's...