HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Just a bad week for me and HHR's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quick rule of thumb to keep in mind-if you lock the car with the remote,open it with the remote or the alarm (horn) will sound.If you lock it with the lock switch button(from the inside)or the key(from the outside)you can use either the key OR the remote to open it without the horn blowing.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Getting back to the repair, if this thing happens again, take it to another dealer.

Quick war story about 2 different Chevy Dealers:

I had a 94 Astro. In '94 I took it to dealer #1 for an engine knock. They changed the fuel filter, put it in BACKWARDS (the arrow was pointing away from the fuel tank, toward the engine), and charged me $60 (truck was still under warrantee).

Engine still knocks. Took it to dealer #2. They replaced the engine short block due to diagnosed piston slap. They only charged me $24 for 6 spark plugs (which are considered maintenance items at the time).

No more problems.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by pieeater
I just called up the service department and was told that the waste gate rod nut had once again come off. They said they put loctite on it and put it back on again. They are gonna do a second test drive and get back to me later in the day.

What would be causing this nut to keep falling off, other then normal vibration? Does anyone know if there is enough room on the rod to double nut it so it can't back itself off?
That is not right! There is no way that rod nut should come off again if it is tightened down properly. It is a double nut essentially as there is a nut on each side of the connection. I adjusted mine at one time and I would say if anything they may be having a hard time reaching it as it is burried back there pretty tight... But if I can do it laying on my back they certainly should be able to do it up on a lift!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM

I picked up the car last night before work and the loctite seems to be holding up so far. They claimed they had never seen anything like this before and that they believe the nut was working it self loose from engine vibration. There was also a conversation about the whole turbo being replaced if it happens again. I have my fingers crossed that the problem is fixed but have been alittle cautious with the gas pedal. They did test drive my car for a total of 50 miles and left me with a quarter tank of gas. I found that to be a dick move, but I guess it is a small price to pay if the car is fixed.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM

Mine is doing something similar to yours. I would accelerate then all of a sudden no boost. Its now on it 3rd trip to the dealership for this issue. The first time the dealer replaced the waste gate. The 2nd time they replaced the tubing. Now it has been in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for a new turbo to be installed. If all goes well chevrolet will be owning a used HHR SS very soon. Its too bad because this is a 5spd LSD model.

This thing is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I have owned it for less than 10 months and the clutch pedal assembly has broken on me (that was fun), and it leaked water through the fire wall like there was no windshield. Nothing like getting into your pool, - uh car on a rainy morning.

I am just happy I never decided to mod the thing or I'd be really screwed.