HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Launch Control

This is the end of another thread. I thought it need a thread of it's own.

In interest of science today I got my first chance to play with the launch control. It is a big LOL Push the button twice and the "Launch Control" show in the info display. Push the throttle down to the floor and the tack goes up to 4100 RPMs, and bounces up and down a 100+-RPMs. Pop the clutch and the wheels start spinning and will stay spinning until you lift.

This car needs bigger and sticker tires to allow it to use all the power and tourque.

I've read 4 "first drive" articles, I don't know what car with what tires Chevy took to Phoenix for press day in December, but I'm sure it was a different package than the have in production.

I also tried a full throttle acculeration with one depression of the little button, I get a lot more wheel spin. I need to take some time to figure out just what happens when.

You asked "Does the DIC say anything when you experience the switching" the answer is NO.

The car is a screemer, far more power that a sane person could use but no one ever siad I was sane

Stay touned for in, the interest of science, more testing.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM

Car & Driver said in their HHR SS Preview that in comp mode that the engine maxes at 4100 RPM until the tires hook up. I guess if the tires aren't catching for some reason then maybe it would continue spinning the wheels indefinitely...

LT1GMC asked a great question in the other thread about the temperature. I'm guessing PA is a little chilly this time of year. Also, pavement condition, and whether your tires were warmed up (well, before all that wheel-spinning!). Inflation pressure could have an affect as well. A little lower psi would lower your MPG, but might give a little more traction.

I had read speculation somewhere that 4100 RPM (MT5) was chosen as a general middle ground for a broad range of conditions. I don't think there's any way it can always be perfect. I'm sure any driver decent with clutch and throttle balance and timing can do better in individual circumstances than the default 4100 RPM. It seems like launch control reduces the throttle control half of the equation. Maybe that means it is simpler, and still relatively effective depending on how well you match the clutch engagement speed to the circumstances.

With so much more torque than the front wheels can use effectively in lower gears, I guess it makes sense for Chevy to try something, since all that torque is difficult to manage. Maybe they want buyers to be able to have fun without having to be a professional driver (scary how many people don't know how to drive a stick these days.)

I suspect the best results can be obtained with TCM & ESC disabled, using no-lift shift to maintain boost (if you can unlearn), and with LSD. Maybe in a month I'll be able to try it as well. I'm currently in a base-model 2008 Subaru Impreza (AWD), and the sequential AT4 (should have bought the WRX w/ MT6I guess). Not enough power to break the tires loose, and limited gear selection, since the torque converter effectively downshifts whenever it feels like it. I miss my A4 Quattro, but I'm really looking forward to the 260/260 in the HHR SS.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 AM

I can`t get traction in my non SS 2.2 stick at a 2,500 RMP launch at 2,000 it still spins can`t imagine what my would do at 4,100.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
I can`t get traction in my non SS 2.2 stick at a 2,500 RMP launch at 2,000 it still spins can`t imagine what my would do at 4,100.
Get off the ice, man!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Offy
Get off the ice, man!
Beer has nothing to do with it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM

Bumps

Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM

You are not supposed to just "drop the hammer" on it.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Back from a short vacation.

My testing was done with hot tires, dry-clean road, no ice. My first verdict is that launch control just doesn't work.

My second set of tests, again with hot tires, dry, clean road at 40 degrees air temp. At 3000 rpms plus, all the front wheels do is spin, even with some clutch slipping. If you launch at under 2500 with a little clutch slip, and 3/4 throttle you can get it to the red line with out wheel spin, then get a good chirp shifting to second and again a chirp going into third.

There is no way to go full throttle in first gear without just spinning the wheels. I can't get this much wheel spin in my C5 Vette. The car just needs more tire under it. And there is no way the launch control will ever work in the current configuration.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 AM

I'm hoping that warmer road temps will help, when racing my C5 all I get is wheel hop when pavement is below 55 or so, pavement temp makes all the difference in the world with it.
(Of course, it does make way more power with the temps cold, and the my turbo Regal was an awesome fast machine when it was 10 degrees or so, the point being you may be making a bit more power than you will in the summer)
Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM

hello, 08 SS owner here, 5mt, with differential. wheel spin, and torque steering are significant, and when the pavement is wet there is quite a bit of hop.. i agree that some wider tires will solve these issues.

i think this car is awesome.

Quick Reply: Launch Control