HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
I decided it was time to play with the launch control last night. Great feature IMO! Holds it steady around 4k-4.5k, smoothly release the clutch and it goes. There is wheels spin, but it controls it so well, torque steer is virtually eliminated. It's pretty darn fun! If you haven't tried it, you need to!

For those who don't know how.

Press the traction control button twice, it will say competitive mode / launch control. Push in the clutch (in 1st gear), put the accelerator pedal to the floor, it will hold it around 4k-5k, smoothly and quickly release the clutch and enjoy!
I also have launch control on my automatic. So how does launch control works on SS with A/T?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by patrick49
Sorry to bump an old thread and ask a (probably) stupid question, but I figured this was better than starting a new thread...

I understand how launch control works in the 5MT, but what about in an auto?
There is no launch control for auto. Just competitive mode.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by KinseySS
Yes... sorry. You're right.. it's competitive mode.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by KinseySS
It does say launch control when you hit the TSC button twice though. So...that's there for no reason? Not arguing just asking.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM

Don't make the same mistake I made.. The DIC displays ''Competitive mode''.

So, what's the difference between launch control and competitive mode? I haven't tried the setting yet, since the SS is only 500 Km.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 PM

For me it flashes competitive mode and then also launch control right after that, when at a stop.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM

It may not work on the Auto:
When we say that the HHR SS doesn't blast away from a stop, we should qualify that statement by explaining that this is without using launch control. Yes, just like the Porsche 911 GT2, the HHR SS has a launch control mode. Switch the traction control to the competition setting, and the car is ready for launch control at any stop. Floor the throttle and the engine holds 4100 rpm, so the turbo is spooled up when you release the clutch. The result isn't a smooth launch - in fact, it feels like you're going to snap a half shaft - but it is a quick one.

Chevy also makes much of the "no-lift shift" feature in the HHR SS. The engine-management software's programming allows you to keep the accelerator planted during upshifts. The revs rise to 6200 rpm - just shy of the 6350-rpm redline - and turbo boost doesn't drop during shifts (as you can see by checking the A-pillar-mounted boost gauge). Again, this is mostly a parlor trick to impress your friends - particularly those who will thrill to the exhaust backfire that accompanies each shift.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM

I read that, noted the part about the clutch, remembered that it flashes launch control when I hit TSC twice in my auto...and hence the question and discussion haha. Anyone with an auto ever used any form of launch control or that could confirm or deny if or how it works in an auto?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by patrick49
So shift to neutral, rev and hold, shift to drive? This is probably coming off as incredibly stupid but I've never had a car with anything like this before so it's nothing I have any experience with, and I'd rather look like an idiot asking a question than look like an idiot exploding my car.
If you value your trans DON'T DO THAT "trans slams" are are no bueno The TC Launch control in the auto will allow a bit more wheel spin when comming out of the hole. Move the gear selector out of overdrive into the regular drive mode ( I forget what that selection is called maybe I )press the TC mode so Launch control/performance mode is selected. Push on the brakes with left foot and right foot on the gas and floor it when the turbo boost builds release the brakes and correct the steering keeping your foot to the floor mine will boost to about 7-8 psi and launches with more wheel spin than when the TC is left alone
Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM

That's what I thought ("trans slam" being bad), but I didn't think holding the brake in while stomping the gas was any better of an option, hence my confusion. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Launch Control