HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Looking at picking up an HHR/SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:57 PM

Looking at picking up an HHR/SS

Hello everyone. im a longtime ecotec enthusiast. ive had a 2007 cobalt LS, lowered with intake and exhaust and ive had a 2009 Cobalt Sedan SS/TC with bolt ons and GMS1.

well after doing some searching, i think im going to look into getting a HHR/SS.

but i have some questions.

my Sedan had the perfect power level with just GMS1 and a couple of bolt ons so that would be about the only thing id do if i get a HHR/SS, along with an intake and probably a DP.

but how are the rides for just daily driving in the HHR/SS? that was my biggest complaint about my sedan as it rode like a2x4 and drove me nuts.

and anyone else have any input of their HHR/SS's to throw out there, please do so.

Thank you!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

the ride is good compared to the tc balt.
If you find it too rough (which you shouldnt) you can swap out the stock FE5 setup with kyb struts, or you can throw some coilovers on it or even the YYZ springs which will make a nicer ride. But it also depends on the roads where you live and personal preference on springs.

the ss is awesome, you will like it more than the balt
Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM

well i had the YYZ's on my SS/TC, but not with FE5 struts and the ride drove me crazy. the roads around here are terrible. i dont plan on lowering this as ill be driving it in the winter.

i have to move my impala before i can venture into a HHR/SS. theres one close to me that has GMS1, catted 3" DP, hahn cat back? with 90k for 8900$ i dont know what these go for used. but theres not many HHR/SS's by me for sale.

i dont know if i should look twords a auto or 5 speed.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Best bet is to find one and take it for a test drive.
Mine is not a daily driver. I have a few mods that have tightened it up a bit, but I wouldn't say it's that harsh of a ride. I gladly gave up a little of the ride quality to get some awesome handling ability.
You'll be surprised how well the SS will handle when you drive one.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! When you drive it, it will tell you if it likes you!!
As for auto or stick well that's just a matter of preference, many love the stick, many like the auto!
If you're gonna drive it in the winter, I suggest the automatic.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 PM

yea, thats what ill have to do. ive only searched craigslist locally, and theres only 1. with GMS1 and some bolt ons.

so ill have to see if any dealerships have any. i usually dont look for a modded car, but i may look for one with at least GMS1.

id like for my girlfriend to be able to drive it. i think a HHR/SS would be perfect. i could throw my dog in the back and head to the cabin, or throw my fishing rods in a go fishing here where i live.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 PM

I wouldn't concern yourself with finding one with GMS1. While it is quite common, there are way better options nowadays (for tuning) IMHO, I'd look for a stock one that hasn't been beatin up on. Me personally, I'd find a busted one and do it all the way! But that's just my style
Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Administrator

There are 3 or 4 for sale in our classified ads

Classifieds | Buy | Sell | Trade | Wanted Ads - Chevy HHR Network
Old 04-12-2016, 07:12 AM

i know all too much about tuning and the horror stories that go along with it from cobaltss.net. when i had my SS/TC Sedan, GMS1 was perfect for me. i loved the power level. it was just the terrible ride i didnt like.

i drive 3 hours to my cabin alot of the times during the summer and even in the winter time. and thats what did it in for me with my cobalt. the 3 hour rides and what felt like a 2x4
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Had mine on several 2-2.5 hour runs before. No problems for me as far as the ride is concerned. One thing. I do have my drivers seat lowered about 1.5 inches from stock height with a custom fabbed seat bracket.

Just remember that there were 2 seat options on the SS. Regular and the performance seat with side bolsters. The 2010 model SS only had the performance seats.

Quick Reply: Looking at picking up an HHR/SS