HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Lowering Spring options (Where to buy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 PM

I was going to go canucks but they said they didnt work for the SS
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM

^INCORRECT. They are saying that to cover their ass because they were never test on the HHR. CM/SSC springs are designed for the weight of a cobalt not the 400+ lb increase of the HHR (or whatever it is) also why the HHR sits lower with them on than cobalts do. Being designed for lower weight probably isn't the best for handling but lowers the car fine and is an improvement from stock. They just don't guarantee/admit anything because it wasn't tested.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Actually Ray informed me , he did not think the SS needed to go any lower, and never went further then the LS and LT models. He worked with me to ensure my LS was the ride height I was looking for and we talked on the phone for a while and I first asked should I go with an FE5 factory setup or go with KYB's and Canuck Motorsports lowering springs.
I decided to go the latter
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM

Canuck motorsports does make springs specific to the hhr, I bought them. However like oldblue I wasn't happy with the higher rear end and after talking to them got a pair of rear springs that rode closer to the cobalt ones.
I think the reason why they are not recommended for the ss is that there is very little difference from stock.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:40 PM

Actually breds2k I am not incorrect. They only list the regular HHR and Not the SS and talking with them they told me they do not sell any designed for the SS.

Now that doesn't mean they won't work. I had the cobalt B&G springs on my SS but I was not going back that route. They are not rated correctly and the B&G's bounce and i didn't want to take that chance again

So what they told me was true and correct. I never said they wouldn't work
Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by sinabu
Actually breds2k I am not incorrect. They only list the regular HHR and Not the SS and talking with them they told me they do not sell any designed for the SS.

Now that doesn't mean they won't work. I had the cobalt B&G springs on my SS but I was not going back that route. They are not rated correctly and the B&G's bounce and i didn't want to take that chance again

So what they told me was true and correct. I never said they wouldn't work
I bought the ssc's for zzp (after trying BG too bouncy and loud, Eibach to hard and loud, then the sscs.

First week after they settled they were amazing. Smooth ride like stock, but a much better look.

Then 2 weeks and not a lot of miles they collapsed, back most then the fronts. (or felt like they collapsed) had no rebound.

This is after new shocks, struts and bushings.

I called the manufacturer, they were nice but said they were not made for the HHR SS only the Cobalt.

They said if I would send my stock springs in they would make a new custom set, but I just let it go and went back to stock.

If anyone knows a way to lower the SS and have a decent ride without bounce or crashing around, I'll do it but after three sets of springs I kind of got tired of trying.

Last edited by russruth; 03-21-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Hey Russ, If you look at my thread about the YYZ's I have been very happy with them. it's not an even drop which is what I would have preferred but the backs are settling in a little lower so its not as noticeable. So far the ride has been very good. I am having an issue wit the front binding but I need to remove them and make sure everything is seated properly.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:46 PM

I amended my post. It wasn't Canucks it was SSC I got from ZZP. The rear ssc's just finally collapsed and had no give at all.

I don't mind a firm ride as long as the car is solid, had an EVO 8 that would knock your teeth out but it was firm though didn't slam.

It's not really the ride height, it's just filing the wheel wells that make these cars look better and short of going to coil overs and cutting that weird box off the back fenderwells, you really can't get a larger wheel and tire in there.

Thanks for the info, I'll call powell on the springs, but think I might look around for something different but it seems like every post on spings ends with "once I get the ..."

Basically the car rides great with the stock set up, but lowering it seems to make it a different ride, though some seem to like it rough.

Hey Russ, If you look at my thread about the YYZ's I have been very happy with them. it's not an even drop which is what I would have preferred but the backs are settling in a little lower so its not as noticeable. So far the ride has been very good. I am having an issue wit the front binding but I need to remove them and make sure everything is seated properly.

Last edited by russruth; 03-23-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:14 PM

I gave up on the B&G's because of the ride. I loved the look and it was really the perfect ride height but it found like I was riding around in a bouncy old Mazda low rider truck.

The YYZ's definitely took care of that. The car feels confident again I just wish it was a little lower or at least even in the back. Ive never like the higher look in the rear. John says thats how FWD cars are supposed to sit but it just doesn't look good to me lol.

As soon as i get some good weather and my brakes comes in I'll check my fronts and see why the springs are clanging around. I think the plate wasn't turned correctly when I installed them.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:09 PM

Thanks,

I'll call Powell and see whatsup.

Let us know how the fronts work out for you.

Best.

Russ

I gave up on the B&G's because of the ride. I loved the look and it was really the perfect ride height but it found like I was riding around in a bouncy old Mazda low rider truck.

The YYZ's definitely took care of that. The car feels confident again I just wish it was a little lower or at least even in the back. Ive never like the higher look in the rear. John says thats how FWD cars are supposed to sit but it just doesn't look good to me lol.

As soon as i get some good weather and my brakes comes in I'll check my fronts and see why the springs are clanging around. I think the plate wasn't turned correctly when I installed them.

Quick Reply: Lowering Spring options (Where to buy)