HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Might Pull the Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Might Pull the Trigger

Well, I know the market is down the crapper, but I'm thinking about buying an HHR SS.

I found this car on the internet, got them down on the price some and got them to agree on a trade in value for my current beater (without them even seeing the car yet)

2008 HHR SS
Victory Red, M5
125 miles
Limited slip, performance seats and sunroof. (not a fan of the red inserts I don't think?)

$21,800 Out the door (minus my trade in)

what do you think?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM

You might wait as you may be able to get a 09 for near that price in the next few months with no trade in.

Here is what I did in July.

My HHR was

$26.350 from that they gave me $100 over invoice.

Then they deducted the at that time incentives from GM and got me in the low $23,000 range.

I then told them I would buy it today [the last day of the month] for $22,750

I then took off another $1,000 from my GM card points for a final price of $21,750 with no trade in.

What you have is not a bad price but for an 08 at this time if your trade in is $1000.

The keys are

Buy on the last day or two of the month.

Watch your incentives of coming incentives from GM. They should be getting better soon with the slow market.

start to work a deal starting at dealer invoice not sticker price.

Remember the dealer invoice is not really what the dealer pays and they are still going to make money. They get what is called Hold Back and that is money they collect they don't like to talk about.

Try to go $100 over invoice and if they will give more fine if not you should have a good price.

Never say yout trading in till you get the price on the new HHR your dealing. The trade should be the last thing you talk about.

You do have a good price but test them and see how bad they want to sell it. Don't buy on emotion and put on a poker face.

Also never be afraid to shop around. The web is a powerful bargin finder. You may find another one you like better and they may match the price or beat it.

They build more SS's every day so don't be affraid to work a deal.

I would be interested in what your trading and what they are giving. Right now trades are going for no where near what you can sell out right. I sold my Truck for $5,000 and they did not want to give me $2,000

I bought 2 for sales signs and sold it 8 hours after putting them in. To be fair it was in very good shape but the dealer did not want to give a thing for it.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
You might wait as you may be able to get a 09 for near that price in the next few months with no trade in.

Here is what I did in July.

My HHR was

$26.350 from that they gave me $100 over invoice.

Then they deducted the at that time incentives from GM and got me in the low $23,000 range.

I then told them I would buy it today [the last day of the month] for $22,750

I then took off another $1,000 from my GM card points for a final price of $21,750 with no trade in.

What you have is not a bad price but for an 08 at this time if your trade in is $1000.

The keys are

Buy on the last day or two of the month.

Watch your incentives of coming incentives from GM. They should be getting better soon with the slow market.

start to work a deal starting at dealer invoice not sticker price.

Remember the dealer invoice is not really what the dealer pays and they are still going to make money. They get what is called Hold Back and that is money they collect they don't like to talk about.

Try to go $100 over invoice and if they will give more fine if not you should have a good price.

Never say yout trading in till you get the price on the new HHR your dealing. The trade should be the last thing you talk about.

You do have a good price but test them and see how bad they want to sell it. Don't buy on emotion and put on a poker face.

Also never be afraid to shop around. The web is a powerful bargin finder. You may find another one you like better and they may match the price or beat it.

They build more SS's every day so don't be affraid to work a deal.

I would be interested in what your trading and what they are giving. Right now trades are going for no where near what you can sell out right. I sold my Truck for $5,000 and they did not want to give me $2,000

I bought 2 for sales signs and sold it 8 hours after putting them in. To be fair it was in very good shape but the dealer did not want to give a thing for it.
Could I use the information about the '09's to get a lower price on my 08? This was used at a GM show, so it is technically "used" at 125 miles.

No more '08's for sale within 400 miles of me. I'd have to pay for frieght to bring in an '08......no idea when and what the offers will be on a '09?

my trade in is a 1995 Toyota 4Runner I bought and fixed and now was ready to flip. Blue Book (Private seller) is $3,750 (not going to get that) They offered me $2,500

So wait for the '09? Or make a new offer on this '08? (its 2 hours away) so when I see it, would be the day I buy it
Old 10-12-2008, 07:46 PM

also the MSRP went up for '09's by ~$7XX
Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 PM

I have the red interior and have received many compliments on it. It's not for everyone, but I love it.

Also there is an 08 SS in my area with black int. 5 speed, for $28k.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 AM

Pull the trigger! =)
Old 10-13-2008, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Could I use the information about the '09's to get a lower price on my 08? This was used at a GM show, so it is technically "used" at 125 miles.

No more '08's for sale within 400 miles of me. I'd have to pay for frieght to bring in an '08......no idea when and what the offers will be on a '09?

my trade in is a 1995 Toyota 4Runner I bought and fixed and now was ready to flip. Blue Book (Private seller) is $3,750 (not going to get that) They offered me $2,500

So wait for the '09? Or make a new offer on this '08? (its 2 hours away) so when I see it, would be the day I buy it

As for price the 09 did gp up around 2% over the 08 and your incentive are going to be different. They could be worse as they are now or better than what I got in a month or two.

With 125 miles the car is not considered used. It will be sold to you as a new car. It is common for cars to have up to 500 miles if they were brought in from other dealers or used as demo's. The SS got test a lot by sales staffs too.

As for the red and black interior I get a lot of compliments on mine and it breaks the interior up from all black. It is personal choice but the red most often is more popular. It was hard for me to find one with it.

What incentives is the dealer offering from GM?

Also price a 09 starting at dealer invoice and no trade. Then see if they will give you the $2500 for your Toyota.

As for the one listed at $28,000?? for an 08 they never stickered for that much $26,750 was as high as they go in the states.

IF the sticker price is 26,750 the invoice price will be just over $24,000.

Mine was around 23,800 since mine had everything less the side airbags. Deduct your incentives from that to give ball park on the price you should see and then subract the trade from that.

If I knew the sticker price and incentives I could tell you about what you should be looking at if they are willing to work with you.

Also price a 09 and see what they want there. It will be higher now as they will not have as much eincentive and the price change. But in December or January with a slow market it could be better depending on the GM deals.

Employee pricing is not your best price.

Shop around on the web as you can go pick it up anywhere. I bought mine using e mail with a local dealer.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM

Call Darrin at Doug Chevy in Akron on the 09 they have in Imperial blue. It has a 5 speed and Brembo brakes. He is the salesman I used for my deal.

He may get you a deal and pick one up else where in a different color or options. He did treat me right.

My first deal at Spitzer was $2,000 more and I shopped around till I got my best deal.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:34 AM

With 125 miles the car is not considered used. It will be sold to you as a new car. It is common for cars to have up to 500 miles if they were brought in from other dealers or used as demo's. The SS got test a lot by sales staffs too.

As for the red and black interior I get a lot of compliments on mine and it breaks the interior up from all black. It is personal choice but the red most often is more popular. It was hard for me to find one with it.

What incentives is the dealer offering from GM?

Also price a 09 starting at dealer invoice and no trade. Then see if they will give you the $2500 for your Toyota.

As for the one listed at $28,000?? for an 08 they never stickered for that much $26,750 was as high as they go in the states.

IF the sticker price is 26,750 the invoice price will be just over $24,000.

Mine was around 23,800 since mine had everything less the side airbags. Deduct your incentives from that to give ball park on the price you should see and then subract the trade from that.

If I knew the sticker price and incentives I could tell you about what you should be looking at if they are willing to work with you.

Also price a 09 and see what they want there. It will be higher now as they will not have as much eincentive and the price change. But in December or January with a slow market it could be better depending on the GM deals.

Employee pricing is not your best price.

Shop around on the web as you can go pick it up anywhere. I bought mine using e mail with a local dealer.
They said the car would not be considered a "new" car since it was sent to a couple GM shows. They wouldn't apply GMS, but the price is lower than GMS.

For Dealer Invoice for a 2009, here's the information I was given...I don't think they told the truth (Different place than the one I'm looking at btw)
$26,530.00 = MSRP
$25,491.95 = Invoice

Here is the one I'm looking at
The original MSRP for this vehicle was $24905. The original GMS price was $22905.38

Rebates on 2009's are only $500
Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 AM

Call Darrin at Doug Chevy in Akron on the 09 they have in Imperial blue. It has a 5 speed and Brembo brakes. He is the salesman I used for my deal.

He may get you a deal and pick one up else where in a different color or options. He did treat me right.

My first deal at Spitzer was $2,000 more and I shopped around till I got my best deal.
I'm really sold on the Victory Red.

Could you PM me Darrin's email address? That's how I've been dealing with everyone so far

Quick Reply: Might Pull the Trigger