HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

MPG with the GMPP Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM

As far as intown milage...experiment with the DIC and I gear for you auto guys..you might be surprised...this eng does not like to be lugged, even though it shows no signs of it...
Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Reset the AVG MPG a couple days ago and haven't really put my foot into and doing ONLY city driving I'm averaging about 18 MPG in town. That's about the same as what it was before the upgrade.
Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
See thats what I'm talking about, 18-21 myself on regular driving. When I put my foot in it.... 12-15..... at the track I saw it go as low as 9MPG! NO BS!

I don't like the 18-21 in city.
Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Since upgrade i'm getting 20 mpg , 2 less than before. Lots of city plus stop and GOOOOOO traffic.

But i'm ok with that. Guys getting 25-30 mpg with the stage kit .

Maybe if you by-pass the turbo .

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I see 21+ in the winter cold using remote start and in the summer I see 23-24 MPG summer in town. I have one short blast for 3 miles on the freeway and I hammer it on the on ramps.

Now regular highway I see 31-32 MPG. Note I am not playing the reset game at every take. I let this go over several weeks and a refill each week. If you play with is you can fudge the numbers if you like.

The fact is the a GM engineer has confirmed that the GMTU will increase MPG 1-2 MPG as they have done the same in testing.

Note the largest gains in MPG with the Turbo engine is letting off the gas. Every time you are off gas on the Direct Injection engine no fuel feeds the engine. Coasting in neutral does not shut the gas off. You need to remain in gear and coast up to lights etc. This will make major gains in MPG.

The turbo upgrade with higher boost will move the car to a higher speed faster and you will get off the gas sooner. This is how the GM engineer explained may there is an increase.
With idle time in winter till coolant reaches at least 100* and 85% city driving... I average 20-21mpg.

Can't really tell you what I do in the summer... remember my whole motor thing last summer... first half of summer = old motor. New motor in end of sep. Then break in.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 AM

With the warmer temps MPG goes up as well if you have winter gas in your area.

Here they mix in a little more ethanol in the winter and it does hurt MPG. Damn EPA.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 AM

They don't mix more ethanol, that is regulated to 10%. If equipped at the truck rack, they could be doing butane injection, or possibly butane injection into the large above ground tank at the tank farm. Depends on the setup at the facility.

The winter gas also has a higher RVP. Right now, the refineries are turning their tanks for the spring season of RVP.