HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

my first test drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:22 PM

my first test drive

Well I finally got a chance to drive the car ive only been able to read about for months... It was black with ebony interior. No red accents, just all black. Does not have the seat upgrade as far as I can tell. It felt really positive.

Last April I think it was I tested a vic red 07 LT spring edition and liked it... but coming from a 98 LS1 Z28, i needed something with a little more oomph. Didn't bring my camera so no pics. It was at night anyway.

Its not a Z28 but it felt really good. The odo said 14 miles when I turned the key. Trouble was this was right after work and traffic was terrible. I was never able to open it up but briefly and only then was I able to get on it. The engine was still cold and I didn't want to tromp on it too hard since it was so brand spankin new. I just drove it on and then off a crowded I-5 freeway but it picked up nice and I could tell it will have enough power to satisfy. Ok Ill admit to being a torque junky having driven a small block v8 for the last 10 years.

I liked how the car handled from what I could tell. But every dam time I wanted to turn a corner the light turned red. So I wasn't able to toss it much but you can tell it's quite the upgrade from the base model.

I liked everything about it, from the boost gauge to the readout on the dash that says COMPETITVE MODE when you hit the button. Can't wait to test that maybe next time when the traffic is better. The wheels are nice to see in person. I was honest with the saleslady and told her I wasn't ready to buy but maybe in a few months hopefully. She didnt really know much about the car at all, I clued her in on a lot of things including the HP diff betw the manual and the auto... she's gonna call me when they gets an m5 in.

Here's a link to the window sticker if you're so inclined.
Weseloh Chevy Carlsbad Cali

http://www.chevrolet.com/ws/nvlWindo....0&isGMBP=true
Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 AM

I dont seem to know much, but why would they not add xm and the upgraded radio if they added the sunroof. It just does not make sense to me at all. I also notice the lack of side airbags. For me, there would be no way I would buy that car.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ween
I dont seem to know much, but why would they not add xm and the upgraded radio if they added the sunroof. It just does not make sense to me at all. I also notice the lack of side airbags. For me, there would be no way I would buy that car.
Not everyone has to have a fully loaded car, you know...that's why they call them options!

When the HHR first came out, you bought what you could get. In my case, no side airbags, ABS, running boards, or Pioneer sound system. You know what? I don't miss any of that stuff right now!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM

For me its gotta have the side airbags. Its got a five (or is it four?) star safety rating with the side airbags. That's pretty dam good.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ween
Three options I would not want period.

Well, those and that slushbox.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
For me its gotta have the side airbags. Its got a five (or is it four?) star safety rating with the side airbags. That's pretty dam good.
5 without the side airbags. Rollover was the only drop with a 4 star.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 PM

wow, 5 without the side airbags, that's even better...

I was aching to let that thing rip. Doing a test drive at rush hour, what was I thinking? I just couldn't wait to try it tho.