Go Back  Chevy HHR Network > HHR SS > HHR SS
Reload this Page >

To my understanding, Is the sound strictly based on the muffler?

HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

To my understanding, Is the sound strictly based on the muffler?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-06-2010
Location: MD
Posts: 77
To my understanding, Is the sound strictly based on the muffler?

Hey guys, On the search for exhaust for my SS and found these videos. There is a shop local who is doing 3" DP back for me for a nice price and i need to find a muffler.

Now i love the sound of the turbo spooling through the exhaust nice like in the first video but they are the same mods just different mufflers it seems.

Stainless Works Muffler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQJY9bzbGM

Magnaflow Muffler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmPCBTj3IJY

Is this right? If so, Why is it? Is it because the SW is more straight through muffler than the Magnaflow? Also does anyone know what model SW Muffler this is?
BoostedSS is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-29-2008
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 527
I am running a custom flowmaster setup that my local muffler shop fabricated for me. It sounds awesome and you can definately hear the turbo spooling through it. It took about 500 miles to really break-in and now it sounds like no other HHR SS exhaust I have heard. It is not too loud at idle, but when I get on it, it has a nice deep throaty rumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ_7CF7hzl0

Might be worth looking into,

SPPD

Last edited by SPPD; 06-03-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added url
SPPD is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-30-2009
Location: Winfield/O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 250
flowmasters are usually not good to use for turbod setups. the reason is because they are chambered and not a straight through design. not all flowmasters are chambered, but most are. it really depends on the way they are designed, along with how long the inside resonator is. also make sure if your getting a catback(after downpipe) that it fits well and hopefully is mandrel bent. as for the dp itself, I would do nothing but mandrel bent. there are 2 other kinds of bends, crush bent where you can see the kinks, the other is where they bend the pipe in to make the bend. mandrel is 3" diameter through the bend.
Jaxon is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-29-2008
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
flowmasters are usually not good to use for turbod setups. the reason is because they are chambered and not a straight through design. not all flowmasters are chambered, but most are. it really depends on the way they are designed, along with how long the inside resonator is. .
Good info, If I see a loss at the track or on the dyno, good bye flowmaster.

SPPD
SPPD is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,075
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
I am running a custom flowmaster setup that my local muffler shop fabricated for me. It sounds awesome and you can definately hear the turbo spooling through it. It took about 500 miles to really break-in and now it sounds like no other HHR SS exhaust I have heard. It is not too loud at idle, but when I get on it, it has a nice deep throaty rumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ_7CF7hzl0

Might be worth looking into,

SPPD
Sounds Amazing! but sorry man chambered, watch out for hot pops. Our SS's tend to throw fire out the ass during shifts...up or down.
foolmoon_design is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,075
Originally Posted by BoostedSS View Post
Hey guys, On the search for exhaust for my SS and found these videos. There is a shop local who is doing 3" DP back for me for a nice price and i need to find a muffler.

Now i love the sound of the turbo spooling through the exhaust nice like in the first video but they are the same mods just different mufflers it seems.

Stainless Works Muffler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikQJY9bzbGM

Magnaflow Muffler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmPCBTj3IJY

Is this right? If so, Why is it? Is it because the SW is more straight through muffler than the Magnaflow? Also does anyone know what model SW Muffler this is?
Good luck locating an ADM rig, they bailed out on the SS a long time ago... he makes mostly Camaro stuff now, although he may have one or two pieces laying around, the same is true for HANN although he still has parts for sale.
foolmoon_design is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Cat Man HHR
HHR SS
2
03-17-2015 06:16 PM
American & Proud
Mods - Engine/Exhaust
4
04-03-2012 08:42 PM
jaskispyder
Appearance/Modifications Discussions
16
09-15-2011 04:04 PM
daytonablue065-speed
General HHR
22
04-26-2009 11:08 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To my understanding, Is the sound strictly based on the muffler?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands