HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Need 0-60MPH times with Stage1 kit & Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:56 PM

Need 0-60MPH times with Stage1 kit & Auto Transmission

Before I get down to negotiating on final pricing for a HHR SS, I have a few questions regarding an automatic-trans SS with the Stage 1 kit installed.

Of course I would rather have a manual with Brembos&LSD, but I am locating mostly automatics at the Chicagoland area dealers. And with the heavy traffic during Chicago commutes it may make more sense anyway. I've sent much time here looking for documented times for automatics with the Stage 1 upgrade kit installed, but only located projected times.

I can find 0-60/quartermile times for the GM Stage1 upgrade installed on numerous manual trans SSs, but accel times for an automatic with the factory Stage1 upgrade seem missing, and I'm hoping someone here has this info. I did find a great discussion thread regarding the Hahn upgrade installed on an automatic...sounds great...but I would like GM kit installed at purchase time to get full 36/36 warranty on the kit.

So has anyone timed the HHR SS automatic with the stage kit installed? I know completely stock they range from 7 to 7.5 seconds, and I have read here the kits really wake up the HHR SS auto in the 1st and 2nd gears...just looking for real numbers before I make my purchase.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Dan
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM

Well, I guess no one has timed at automatic SS with the Stage Kit installed.

I am sure it is the nature of most Manual verse Automatic HHR SS owners, and why you've bought what you have. The 5spd owners are more apt to go to the drag strip, etc.

Hopefully someone in the future will have more info as the owners get more seat time in the auto w/ Stage Kit SSs. Maybe it will be me...if I don't get sucked back into the 5-Spd/LSD/Brembo mode soon. I'm trying to rationalize getting the auto version, but I really want a stick.

My buying saga continues,
Dan
Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Don't have numbers but I can tell you there is a major difference. I have an auto SS and was able to drive Tom's (a76marine) auto SS with Stage Kit at the Cedar Point Meet and it is like daylight and dark difference. He is from the Chicago area as well so maybe you can meet up with him.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 PM

I have the stage 1 along with the K&N intake.

Based on my Aeroforce guage my best 0-60 times are in the low 5 seconds. The Stage kit makes a HUGE difference in the automatic SS.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM

0-60 times are not commn with most stock SS with the Stage kit no matter what tranny. There are just few times posted. Most guys that do have times are not stock even the stage kit.

Based on just what GM has listed and what few times I have seen Mid to Hig 5 seconds would be good with an auto if you can get traction. The standard should just have a little time due to the clutch and better gearing. I would predict a low 5 second with an manual.

As for stock there is not comparison between the stock Auto and 5 speed. It is night and day. With the stage kit it is a little closer but the 5 speed still has an edge.

While the 5 speed is a little quicker and more fun to drive the auto is better as a daily driver if you do a lot of city driving. Also you will never need to replace a clutch. Comes resale time the Auto is so much easier to sell.

If it were a weekend car I say 5 sp daily driver Auto. Also This is based with the idea you get the GM tune. With out the tune you will never like the Auto if you have driven the 5 speed. I bought my auto with the intention of the upgrade so I knew I would get the power back.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM

SS and automatic seems contradictory to me. I am not saying that to be inflammatory. I was just shocked at how many autos there are and...it outsells the manual. I love a stick...no matter if it was a geo metro or a porsche...I love it. Traffic never bothered me even in heavy traffic. I feel odd in an auto. I just feel like the car is driving me, especially with cruise. I like the car to be an extension of me. I love the HHR SS and I love a stick. I would encourage you to buy one that way. But I am biased and I am sure there's lits of good reasons to get the auto too.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM

While it might be true that most sticks are a chore to drive compared to a auto, the HHR SS is not because the stock clutch makes the pedal pressure real soft and almost effortless. After driving my SS and then drive my 5 spd Van (modding) with a Act 2100 clutch, there is a HUGE difference in pedal pressure.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 AM

Manual trannys are a dying breed. With only around 6 % of the entire market they are slipping fast. Often dealers can not get rid of them easy so fewer are ordered.

Even in performance cars they account for 40% or less of the market anymore.

Fact is many people today don't know how to drive one and really do not care to learn. With stop and go traffic cell phones and smoking many just are too busy doing other things to be bothered I am sad to day.

Performance automatics are not really as bad as some may think today. Most shift fast and do have the semi manual mode. In fact the new 6 speed Auto GM has is the fastest and smoothest Auto I have seen and in manual mode is fun to drive.

I have had manuals in the fast but Pretty much gave up on them with FWD since I can not change a clutch out in my garage. Also the cable shifters go to crap as they age.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM

I have an automatic SS with the stage 1 kit and it does make a world of difference, unfortunately I haven't attempted a 0 - 60 run with it yet. I am experienced at doing boost launches when I had my GMC Syclone which I could pull 0 - 60 times of 4.48 sec from my stock truck. Of course the Syclone is AWD but I'm looking forward to trying it with my SS before the snow flies here.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by davkat
I am experienced at doing boost launches when I had my GMC Syclone which I could pull 0 - 60 times of 4.48 sec from my stock truck. Of course the Syclone is AWD but I'm looking forward to trying it with my SS before the snow flies here.
A friend of mine had a GMC Syclone many years ago...man that was one quick truck. So davkat...inquiring minds want to know...expecially since you are an experienced turbo-holic...can you get that HHR SS into the mid/upper 5 second range??? I know that snow has to be coming soon where you live!

Dan

Quick Reply: Need 0-60MPH times with Stage1 kit & Auto Transmission