HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Need 0-60MPH times with Stage1 kit & Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 PM

I should be able to get some time to play with it this afternoon. No snow yet but the temps are dropping into the 30's already so it won't be long. I'm not running the stock tires at the moment. I have a set of Blizzaks from craigslist but they are size 245/45/R18 with spacers for the front wheels to prevent rubbing on the struts.

I've found the Automatic on the SS to be similar to the Syclone in the way it works. The Syclone had 2 indicated Drive modes on the tranny; D with a circle around it indicating overdrive and a plain D indicating up to 3rd gear. With the SS it works the same way between D and I (intermediate). In the Intermediate gear you get better performance as is indicated in the owners manual.

The Syclone's (and Typhoon's) main advantage's were AWD and engine torque; 360ftlbs vs the HHRSS Stage 1 with 315ftlbs. Boost levels on a stock Syclone were around 15lbs whereas I can get boost levels of up to 25lbs on my SS with the stage I. The 2L Ecotec motor is also much more efficent that the 4.3 V-6 Turbo from back in the day.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by davkat
I should be able to get some time to play with it this afternoon. No snow yet but the temps are dropping into the 30's already so it won't be long. I'm not running the stock tires at the moment. I have a set of Blizzaks from craigslist but they are size 245/45/R18 with spacers for the front wheels to prevent rubbing on the struts.

I've found the Automatic on the SS to be similar to the Syclone in the way it works. The Syclone had 2 indicated Drive modes on the tranny; D with a circle around it indicating overdrive and a plain D indicating up to 3rd gear. With the SS it works the same way between D and I (intermediate). In the Intermediate gear you get better performance as is indicated in the owners manual.

The Syclone's (and Typhoon's) main advantage's were AWD and engine torque; 360ftlbs vs the HHRSS Stage 1 with 315ftlbs. Boost levels on a stock Syclone were around 15lbs whereas I can get boost levels of up to 25lbs on my SS with the stage I. The 2L Ecotec motor is also much more efficent that the 4.3 V-6 Turbo from back in the day.

While you get more traction with AWD it also takes power to run the front drive.

Out street rod here at work has a syclone system in the front and a ZR1 rear. It takes 150 HP to drive the front diff the way it is set up. But we have a little over 600 HP of Lingenfelter power to push it.

1/4 mile times are about a second faster with no front drive shaft.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Yes it does sacrifice power to run AWD but most times I could count on a clean launch with my syclone unless I screwed it up. Anyway I did go out this afternoon and did a few boost launches in spite of protest from my Blizzaks.

Using a stopwatch the fastest time to 60 I came up with was 5.5sec. I was running 90 octane fuel with no additives (ie torco or anything else), that's the highest I can buy at the pump here in Anchorage. I launched at 5lbs of boost with the tranny in Low gear. I also launched in Intermediate (I) which gave me the rocket shot to 45mph but after wheelspin stopped it would lose power and quickly build again. When I launched in low the motor keep up it's revs and boost even after wheelspin stopped providing a quicker run to 60. Once I hit 80 I would shift into D.

I wish my datamaster program would work on my SS. I did experience a fair amount of torque steer but I've felt much worse from less powerful vehicles. I am very pleased with the performance level of my car and looking forward to further tuning and running it at the track next season in Palmer.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Yes it does sacrifice power to run AWD but most times I could count on a clean launch with my syclone unless I screwed it up. Anyway I did go out this afternoon and did a few boost launches in spite of protest from my Blizzaks.

Using a stopwatch the fastest time to 60 I came up with was 5.5sec. I was running 90 octane fuel with no additives (ie torco or anything else), that's the highest I can buy at the pump here in Anchorage. I launched at 5lbs of boost with the tranny in Low gear. I also launched in Intermediate (I) which gave me the rocket shot to 45mph but after wheelspin stopped it would lose power and quickly build again. When I launched in low the motor keep up it's revs and boost even after wheelspin stopped providing a quicker run to 60. Once I hit 80 I would shift into D.

I wish my datamaster program would work on my SS. I did experience a fair amount of torque steer but I've felt much worse from less powerful vehicles. I am very pleased with the performance level of my car and looking forward to further tuning and running it at the track next season in Palmer.
Mid 5 seconds sound right for the Stage kit. I don't think you ar too far off.

On our car at work it is a 32 Ford with the AWD set up. Our 1/4 may have been slower but the 0-60 were in the mid 3 second range. It felt good.

Not car related but the best 0-120 I have ever felt is the Top Thrill Dragster Roller Coaster at Ceader Point in Ohio. It will do 0-124 in about 3 seconds. Also it goes from a dead stop to 420 feet down to a stop in only 16 seconds. Track is only 2800 ft long. It is the closest thing to a Carrier Launch most of us will ever feel.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/_includes/...videoWidth=320

My 8 year old was old was tall enough to ride with me this year. I don't think he has been right since. He wants to go again next year. I am thinking I am getting too old for this.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM

"Not car related but the best 0-120 I have ever felt is the Top Thrill Dragster Roller Coaster at Ceader Point in Ohio. It will do 0-124 in about 3 seconds. Also it goes from a dead stop to 420 feet down to a stop in only 16 seconds. Track is only 2800 ft long. It is the closest thing to a Carrier Launch most of us will ever feel."

TUNNEL VISION!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing Ride! The only one better is King da Ka! speed about the same, Carrier launch is 180, in like 300 feet! nuts! I bet the Top Fuel guys don't see too much in 1420 feet, I would guess their vision cone is no more than 3 or 4" at their accelaration rate, if that big. Haven't riden Thrill Dragster but King gives you about 24" cone for a sec or two.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM

I'm impressed. I thought the stage kit would enable low/mid 6 seconds, but that kit is doing more than just adding the additional HP/TQ. If you just added 30hp/70-ish TQ I do not think you would shave nearly 2 seconds off a 0-60 run. It must be removing the stock TQ limits in the lower gears (I think I read that somewhere) and allowing the full TQ to be applied in 1st/2nd gear...the result being the increased torque steer. I can live with that

Thanks much davkat for gathering this info...altho I imagine it was fun doing the research!

Dan

PS Anyone else doing any timed "research" on a HHR SS automatic with factory upgrade kit?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
"Not car related but the best 0-120 I have ever felt is the Top Thrill Dragster Roller Coaster at Ceader Point in Ohio. It will do 0-124 in about 3 seconds. Also it goes from a dead stop to 420 feet down to a stop in only 16 seconds. Track is only 2800 ft long. It is the closest thing to a Carrier Launch most of us will ever feel."

TUNNEL VISION!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing Ride! The only one better is King da Ka! speed about the same, Carrier launch is 180, in like 300 feet! nuts! I bet the Top Fuel guys don't see too much in 1420 feet, I would guess their vision cone is no more than 3 or 4" at their accelaration rate, if that big. Haven't riden Thrill Dragster but King gives you about 24" cone for a sec or two.
The King is the same ride with only a couple of feet added and a small hill after the drop. The added the extra few feet to take the record.

The Top Fuel guys also have to fight the shake that blurs everything. I think this is why John Force is a little crazy.