HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

new 08 SS owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM

new 08 SS owner

took delivery of my 08 silver SS about a week ago and so far its hoot!!

this one has 50K on it and was exceptionally maintained (1 owner)
i have scoured over the issues with the 08's on here for the past week and maybe i have a freak but this one seems to have none of the things i have read about (the brake booster was done by 1st owner) - everything works as it should with the exception of the radio display - it does not come on during the day?? - only at night or in a tunnel or overpass - some have said its a bad radio or just coincedence but it seems too consistent - anyway just though i would make my first post and say thanks for all the great info you guys have shared
Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

Welcome! Enjoy it.
<----
Old 04-21-2011, 02:45 PM

automatic

If you had the brake boost installed I believe that means you have an automatic transmission?

With respect to the radio lighting, I remember that I had my HHR worked on and was dismayed afterward to find I didn't have lights on the dash or radio at times, depending on exterior light conditions. I discovered that the technician had turned the dial adjusting the light intensity all the way down. Moving the dial corrected the problem.

EDIT - Unfortunately, the dial I found screwed up is probably the same as the "dash dimmer" which the OP says he adjusted in his reply below. Well, it was worth a shot, anyway!

Last edited by Doctuh; 04-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:07 PM

to the site Congrats on the SS!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM

re

officer - pics will be posted this weekend

doctuh - i have fiddled with every knob i could find including dash dimmer and have yet to locate the problem - it is veery strange but i'll keep looking till i find - that kind of issue bugs the tar outta me

thanks for the welcome guys - i'll have more question so be gentle with me - i'm coming off an 02 Trans Am WS6 with all the bolt on's so no stranger to mods
Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Congrats, you should have plenty of fun with the SS.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Welcome and enjoy! every time I get into my ss i am still amazed with how fast it is. Look into an aftermarket tune or GM turbo upgrade if you do not have one already.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:45 PM

re

thanks bad...my ole xtreme ( yes thats wally's gas station in Mayberry)

milt - my first performance 4 - i'm amazed too...coming off a LS1

hmmm - dont see my attachment icon to post pics??
Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Radio and dash lights can have two things that can happen. The dimmer can be down and you just need to turn it up. Also remeber the HHR has auto lights that can come on in the daytime under over passes and other dark places like garages.

Often it will come on under a bridge and when you drive out into the sun the radio dial and DIC will be hard to see in the sun as it has dimmed down. Once the lights go off they will return.

I had this happen when I got the car and then realized it was the headlight being on that dimmed the dash to the point the radio was hard to see.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM

re

yup - ive read about those issues but mine seems to be unique - the DIC is nice and bright under all conditions - the dash dimmer control functions properly - the auto headlight works as designed - if i manually turn on headlights still no radio display - but if auto lights engage under an overpass for example...bam...radio lights up - pull out in sun - bam...auto lights go out and so does radio - somehow i figure this issue is tied to a relay perhaps in this auto headlight function because the radio is lighting up when this feature engages - it has me stumped so far.i'm right at home under the hood but chasing down electrical stuff frustrates the hell outta me
i'll find it eventually - ive read pages of similar problems but not this exact one

other than this quirky thing this SS seems like a sound ride and will be tinkered with as all my other toys have been

thanks again for the input - i appreciate the troubleshooting

\

Quick Reply: new 08 SS owner