HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

New Intake Tube Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM

New Intake Tube Failure

Well I feel Like Neil friken Armtrong and take on step for man kind!

On the way home I thought my Boost was a little lower than normal and the vacuum coasting with my foot off the gas was a little higher than normal.

I stepped on it and tried to spool it up and then I had a loud pop. I let off and drove normal. Then I went to step on the gas to go up a hill and no boost at all.

Thinking it was just the intake tube that blew off I went straight to the dealer.

Well after a little looking around the tech found the map sensor in the lower tube blew completely out of the intake tube. It took part of the tube with it.

Well they are ordering a new tube and gave me a HHR loaner.

I did have the stage kit installed last week and really have not many hard runs in it. Either way it is covered by the warranty as is the loaner so I am happy I went with the GM kit that retains the 5 year warranty.

Has anyone else had the map sensor blow out f their intake tube? I was only at 17 PSI when it popped out.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM

And that is the exact 'crazy' reason I have been wanting to go with GM's kit over other programmers/programs. Just the simple feel of having that warranty in these times makes the difference until this vehicle is no longer the Daily Driver :)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

I acually had the vacuum hose come off at 22psi
Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=hyperv6;377409]
Well after a little looking around the tech found the map sensor in the lower tube blew completely out of the intake tube. It took part of the tube with it.

Well they are ordering a new tube and gave me a HHR loaner.

I did have the stage kit installed last week and really have not many hard runs in it. Either way it is covered by the warranty as is the loaner so I am happy I went with the GM kit that retains the 5 year warranty.

QUOTE]

Wow, that is weird! So when you said it took part of the tube with it, you mean it popped out a chunk at that point where the sensor was?

Question on this warranty thing. Is this type of thing covered all the way up to 100K mi. or just to 36K? I'm at 35k mi. now and thinking of getting the GM stage kit installed. I know the turbo itself would be covered, but wondering about the piping, sensors, etc...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Intake Tube - Map Sensor blow out

It is covered to 100,000 miles or 5 years. Could be the tech over torqued the new screw or used the old screw. Old screw would not have enough threads holding it in because it is too short and the new screw if over torqued in the plastic could tear out.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM

More Torque, i am looking to get this soon, but with all these tech issues I get leary of having someone else doing it. Do you have a tech line that i could give the installing tech to make sure he understands what to do?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP
It is covered to 100,000 miles or 5 years. Could be the tech over torqued the new screw or used the old screw. Old screw would not have enough threads holding it in because it is too short and the new screw if over torqued in the plastic could tear out.
I think it was either a bad tube or he may have ovedone it during the install. I am leaning in install error direction.

It broke out the part where it was bolted in. I did not get a good look but I could see the tube was broken as it was not a clean hole in the tube.

It must have not given at once as the lower boost and more vacuum was a sign it was working lose or letting go. I will see if I can look at the tube when I pick it up and let you know.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP
More_Torque_More_HP

I looked at a picture of the intake tube on a SS engine and the square area the lower Map sensor is bolted to was what I saw that blew out.

The sensor was still bolted to that part. It was still attacted to the rectanglier part the map is bolted too on the tube. The tech had to have had it bolted in properly.

I saw him pull it up on the harness and the Map was still bolted to the plastic but the plastic was no longer on the tube.

I will see if I can get a photo to post later if they still have the tube when I go to pick it up. This is the first I have seen this happen.

Note my SS is an 08 but the tube was replaced when I was run off the road and the intercooler was broken. So this was a replacment tube from the GM parts system.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 AM

Tech Line

Originally Posted by HHR 'Black Death'
More Torque, i am looking to get this soon, but with all these tech issues I get leary of having someone else doing it. Do you have a tech line that i could give the installing tech to make sure he understands what to do?

The dealer has the Technical Assistant's phone number. They could call that and talk to the Accessories department. They have been trained and have the answers. Sorry i can't post the number, it is for dealer use only.

I have seen(witnessed several installs) and heard from many people, that if the directions are followed (the updated ones from February 2009) the install will not have any problems. Where the trouble comes in is when the installer doesn't follow the directions and/or forges ahead without going step by step.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 AM

More_Torque_More_HP

I just got the call from the dealer and they tube is fixed.

They called the techs in Detroit about this and this was the first and hopefully only reported case. From what they could see the tube was broken out along that square molded area of the tube the sensor fits in. The screws and sensor were all intact and undamaged.

I also have seen no reported cases here of this and suspect it just was a weakly molded part that gave way.

Either way It is fixed and back to 22+ PSI and I should not expect any other issues with this.

Quick Reply: New Intake Tube Failure