HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Newbie with Roof Rail Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Newbie with Roof Rail Question

Hello All!

My parents just purchased a 2009 Victory Red SS (5-spd) that is due to be delivered to the dealership tomorrow. They planned to order until they found this vehicle in transit. I have read some conflicting information regarding the Roof Rails and I thought I'd turn to the experts - you!

Their baby is supposed to come with "Luggage Carrier Roof Rails" ($150 sticker price). I realize these are different than the cross rails, okay, I get that part...can you tell me if "Luggage Carrier Roof Rails" are a factory installed option, or a dealer installed option? I did a forum search but came up empty.

I know the cross rails are dealer installed but I read something on the Chevy website that indicates "Roof Rack Side Rails" are a dealer installed option as well. (Here: http://www.chevrolet.com/m/06/quickfacts/09_HHR_New.pdf)

I only ask because the rails are the one option that my parents did not want and if they are indeed dealer installed we can stop it before it happens. If not, that is fine with them too but I'm sure you can understand my confusion. Can someone set me straight on if the Roof Rails are factory or dealer installed for 2009?

PS - I really wanted to let you folks know how really excited my folks are, and I am very excited for them. I think they made a great choice!

Thanks.
Heather
Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Chevy Manager???? This one is right up your alley.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Pretty sure they are, not 100% though. I think it would be less than fun to make a car with roof rails not have them. So if you absolutely don't want them, you will want to get one without them.

I agree Chevy Manager should be able to help you out fully.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM

roof rails are a factory install
Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 PM

I was told they could be installed at the dealer.........I would not do that though! I like mine and bought the Crossrails for it. I leave them off unless I am going on a trip.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Factory installed as they have to drill them on I believe. I have the all chrome ones which I know changed on the 08's (all black or black with chrome tips). I'll probably never use them...I just didn't like a naked top and wanted either those or at least the spoiler...some have both.

Regardless, welcome your folks to the HHR Familia!

@ngelita
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Go on www.chevrolet.com and build a 2009 HHR SS.
If you can order them on the vehicle you build they will be factory installed.
They are fastened with flush threaded T nuts thru the roof. These have to be carefully installed before the headliner is put in and tested for leakage.
I would be leery of a dealer install because of the need for careful workmanship.
I never have used any of the roof racks I have had, and find it much easier to wash the top without them. They are about looks and function, not neccesity.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Go on www.chevrolet.com and build a 2009 HHR SS.
If you can order them on the vehicle you build they will be factory installed.
They are fastened with flush threaded T nuts thru the roof. These have to be carefully installed before the headliner is put in and tested for leakage.
I would be leery of a dealer install because of the need for careful workmanship.
I never have used any of the roof racks I have had, and find it much easier to wash the top without them. They are about looks and function, not necessity.
Looks? How about this one for necessity? I couldn't have taken a camping trip with 2 bikes, dog, wife and daughter without a fully functioning roof carrier!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 AM

The roof rails are always factory installed if included on the window sticker option list. It is possible to have the dealer install them, but its tricky and not advised.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 AM

I had to take rails to get mine with all the other option I wanted since it was late 08. Rails as stated above are factory installed unless someone wants them added at the dealer.

The SS comes with black rails so they look a little better.

Though I will never use them but they do come in handy if you are waxing the roof and give you a hand grip.

Quick Reply: Newbie with Roof Rail Question