HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

No coolant temp or fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Don't forget varmints love to chew on car wires. The only connection between fuel pressure and coolant temp is low ref (digital ground).
Don
If the reference signal was bad, wouldn't other sensors that use that also be affected ?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 AM

Sorry i guess i should have specified, my car isnt actually ”in storage”... its just parked for the winter in my driveway and i usually start it ever couple days. However yesterday happened to be like the coldest day EVER.... maybe this has something to do with it?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

If you're not driving it, starting and letting it idle are not going to keep the battery "up".
Thus the question about the battery tender. I'll guess the answer is No.
What about the question of it being in defrost mode ?

Answering some of the questions will help us to help you.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:24 AM

If the reference signal was bad, wouldn't other sensors that use that also be affected ?
Could be just a wire broken that serves those 2. But, that was my point; should be more symptoms.

I'm not sure how the low ref is produced, I think there is 1 source. There are, at least 4 5V ref sources. The ECM makes both.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:03 AM

How old is the battery ?
Old 02-15-2020, 12:04 PM

Another guess for bad thermostat here
Old 02-15-2020, 02:22 PM

Hey guy.... k the fan comes on even if the heater fan is off. The battery is a couple years old, and i know letting it idle doesnt charge it as it needs at least 3000rpm to charge, however it turns over and starts without hesitation at all. Even yesterday which was the coldest day we've had all winter it started right up no problem at all. I havent yet checked fuses but im gonna go do that momentarily, but i guess that wouldnt explain for the cooling fan blowing right from startup and running for about 10 seconds after turning off the engine. Its -6 right now and i havent started the car since yesterday and the fan comes on immediately. Thanks again guys for everything.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Ok so i found a thread on the Cobalt website and the exact same thing happened to a Cobalt’er, lol. He unplugged both of those huge clips from the ECU and plugged it back in and it worked like a charm!! It also worked for me as well! So I hope this helps someone here if it ever happens to them!! Have a great day guys!!
Old 02-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Moe
Ok so i found a thread on the Cobalt website and the exact same thing happened to a Cobalt’er, lol. He unplugged both of those huge clips from the ECU and plugged it back in and it worked like a charm!! It also worked for me as well! So I hope this helps someone here if it ever happens to them!! Have a great day guys!!
Yes. It rebooted the ECU.
You could have accomplished the same thing by disconnecting the battery as was suggested in post #8 a week ago.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 PM

I tried that brother right after i read the reply to do so and it didnt work, i left it unplugged for 5min and the same thing, still no fuel pressure or coolant temp. Idk? Maybe it was just happened by fluke?

Quick Reply: No coolant temp or fuel pressure